severe weather photography

drmcninja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to still photography, but I'm in the market for a DSLR camera so I can start photographing severe weather cloud formations, tornados and lightening this spring. (prior to this everything I had done was videography) I'm thinking about a Nikon D5000 for a camera body but don't know if this will allow me the verstility to do nightime lightening photography.

Canb any experts help me with advice for lenses, kits, or other camera body options?

Thanks
JB

Speed and exposure-wise, yes, but construction, no.

At least look into a camera that's sealed. So if it's Nikon, it's the D300 and up. Canon, the 7D or 1D. At least look into something that can physically take the elements.

God, it's like you people are baiting me.

**cough cough Pentax has more affordable sealed bodies and lenses than any other brand cough cough cough**

If Pentax could boast more than 1.2% of the market share........

They're working on it. And what does that have to do with the fact that you can have a completely sealed bodies and lens for Less than half the price of a D300 body. To which you'll say, but it's not as good as a D300. Of course it's not, it's a consumer level camera, and a sealed kit lens. But the OP isn't looking for a D300, or they would just one, since it's sealed. The OP is looking in the d5000 range. Everyone else is saying that if you want a fully sealed package, your options start above $2500, and I'm saying, no they don't. You can get a fully sealed kit from Pentax from $800 for a K200d and 18-55 sealed kit lens, to $2000 for a K-7 and 16-50mm F/2.8 pro-build sealed combo.

I'm using a canon xs. I plan on doing some lighting soon here in Florida. I was just going to have a bag over the body and lens for the most part, if it rains. Whislt it's raining I won't be shooting and I hope to be close to my car at that. Suggestion and is it a bad idea? Hope it helps.

Shot this with my D90 and a 70-300 lens attached. Quite simple to do actually. If you're going to be in the elements, I agree with the others, put a bag or something over the camera.

DSC_0102.jpg

Thank you. Fortunately, I was under my deck when shooting this, so I didn't need any kind of bag or anything over my camera.

The lightning was crazy that night. I had one that must've been 200-300 feet away from me. Needless to say, I went inside after that one struck.

God, it's like you people are baiting me.

**cough cough Pentax has more affordable sealed bodies and lenses than any other brand cough cough cough**

And Olympus. Probably the only two companies that sell truly sealed cameras for less than $2500. On that note, is the D700 even as sealed as say a 1D series?

Thank you. Fortunately, I was under my deck when shooting this, so I didn't need any kind of bag or anything over my camera.

The lightning was crazy that night. I had one that must've been 200-300 feet away from me. Needless to say, I went inside after that one struck.

Ya thats scary stuff how long was the shutter speed on that lighting pic.

I had some lightning strike probably about 25 feet away from me when me and some friends got caught in a bad storm on our ATVs in the everglades. Scariest thing in my entire life i was shaking for about 20 minutes and couldn't hear for about that long too:confused:

If Pentax could boast more than 1.2% of the market share........

....To which you'll say, but it's not as good as a D300. Of course it's not, it's a consumer level camera, and a sealed kit lens. But the OP isn't looking for a D300, or they would just one, since it's sealed. The OP is looking in the d5000 range. Everyone else is saying that if you want a fully sealed package, your options start above $2500, and I'm saying, no they don't. You can get a fully sealed kit from Pentax from $800 for a K200d and 18-55 sealed kit lens, to $2000 for a K-7 and 16-50mm F/2.8 pro-build sealed combo.

I'll quote myself a second time here...."If Pentax could boast more than 1.2% of the market share........

Nothing about a D300, nothing disparaging Pentax quality or technical performance.

Ya thats scary stuff how long was the shutter speed on that lighting pic.

I had some lightning strike probably about 25 feet away from me when me and some friends got caught in a bad storm on our ATVs in the everglades. Scariest thing in my entire life i was shaking for about 20 minutes and couldn't hear for about that long too:confused:

Model: NIKON D90
ISO: 400
Exposure: 5.4 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Focal Length: 70mm

Market share, shmarkit share. I appreciate what you are saying but. Often things are overlooked, just because of numbers. drmcninja it sounds like you are... a "storm chaser" So get the camera that is right for you. Forget all that Canon vs Nikon BS, or whatever vs whatever. If you find the right camera for the conditions you want to shoot in, get it, even if is Acme co.

80932-big.jpg
.......ok maybe not Acme, but I think you get my point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back