Shooting in camera RAW

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The pictures are not on my memory card. I am so confused about how to get the pictures to my computer. Can anyone help? I am sorry if this is such a stupid question but I don't have my camera manual with me. TIA!

Did you take any pictures? And what type of card is it? I got a $5 card reader on ebay and I just plug it in and go to computer and transfer the pictures that way.

If you took pictures in raw then they are probably on your card.

What computer system are you using? Apple or Windows? If Windows, which OS?

Are you downloading with a card reader or directly from the camera? What software are you using to download?

I suppose it's possible that your software doesn't support or recognize your raw file extension.

What camera are you using?

I am using Windows XP. I am trying to download using a card reader. I have ArcSoft TotalMedia software to download.

I have a Nikon D60.

Does this help? Is there anything I can do?

Before you panic, try looking at the files on the card using an Explorer window (that's "Explorer" and not "Internet Explorer") to see if the RAW files are there. Since you are using a Nikon, the RAW files will have the extension ".NEF".

Its quite possible that the ArcSoft application that you are using doesn't support RAW files and is not showing the files even though they are actually there.

Ok, so I opened them with the software that came with my camera but they are still not saved to my computer. All I want to do is open them with photoshop and edit them, then save them to my computer. I tried opening them in photoshop but that's not working either.

I guess my question is how would I get them to photoshop from the software that came with my camera. I am sorry for all the stupid questions!

You can open them in photoshop directly from your card...

I tried to open the pictures directly from my card using photoshop. I went to my computer, nikon d60, opened the folders, tried to open the pictures and it gave me this message "could not complete your request b/c it is not the right type of document."
????????

Last edited:
PS2. Thank you, I hope this download helps! I will update and let you know. Thank you!

Certainly you mistyped. "PS2" would be "Photoshop version 2" which would be some 12-15 years old! Perhaps you have "Photoshop CS2" (PS/CS2), which is version 9.

If you have PS/CS2, the Adobe Camera RAW v5.4 plugin will not work. PS/CS2 only works with the 3.x versions of ACR. The 5.x versions require the current PS/CS4. I don't believe even the last of the 3.x versions of ACR is new enough to handle the D60's RAW files, though you should download the last ACR v3.x just to have the latest your PS will handle.

One work around is to download the latest version of Adobe's "DNG Converter". The latest version will read the D60's files. This little free tool will convert Nikon's proprietary RAW/NEF files into Adobe's "standard" RAW/DNG flavor. They will still be RAW files and the older versions of PS back as far as PS/CS can read them properly. You will still have the full RAW processing options available in your version of PS.

Running the NEF files through the DNG Converter to create DNG files is an additional step, but the software is free, and it avoids having to upgrade your PS. I would still recommend that you consider upgrading your PS to the current PS/CS4.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back