Should I buy a Canon T4i or T5i

Sure! Anything would help.

I have decided to go with the T4i as it's very cheap right now and the T4i is essentially the same as the T5i. As for another lens, I'm still a bit confused on what I should get but I'll worry about that bit later.
Thank you everyone for your help!

Just a recommendation...the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is $100 (or less if used). It is a very good lens to learn Depth of Field at a low price. For the money, it's really a must have. The image sharpness will be far superior to that of the 18-55 kit lens your camera comes with.
I will check it out, thanks.

Sure! Anything would help.

View attachment 40249

$227644_10200449936997302_558529223_n.jpg

$428012_10200580653505133_403715322_n.jpg

$5584_10201057008493710_1407590868_n.jpg

View attachment 40250

View attachment 40251

$293915_10200377589508660_185634285_n.jpg

$487302_10200853480525638_1027622801_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't sure what you meant by close up, so I gave some macro shots and some close ups. Disregard the white DC shoes. That was shot with an 85mm, and I can't figure out how to take it out. I deleted it, but it became an attachment for some reason.

I haven't read any reviews on the t5i or any of the new features.

I would go with a t4i and invest in a nice lens.

Have you thought about a 60d?
Are there any lenses that you would recommend?
and yes, I have considered it, but from what I've heard and what I've researched it seems that they have almost identical specs and the T4i has touch screen. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply :)

You are correct. The 700D has very minimal upgrades from the 650D. It's not worth the money to buy the newest model. In 6 months Canon will unviel the t6i.
I'm not sure I like the touchscreen feature. Are you preferring to take still photos or videos? It might sway your decisions between Canon and Nikon.

I personally LOVE the touchscreen and while it seems like a gimmick it is actually very functional and makes changing settings a breeze. To address the OP, the T5i and the T4i don't have much differences between themselves tech wise although the T5i will be coming out with a new 18-55mm STM lens. My personally opinion is to go with the T4i with the 18-135 STM and start saving for an upgrade. Someone else mentioned the 60D and while that is a nice camera after I played with the T4i and the 60D I didn't see where spending the extra money made a difference.

Wasn't sure what you meant by close up, so I gave some macro shots and some close ups. Disregard the white DC shoes. That was shot with an 85mm, and I can't figure out how to take it out. I deleted it, but it became an attachment for some reason.

You can edit your post... but don't look in the main body of the post, look in the section below the post for a button labeled "Manage Attachments". You should see the attachments in a sub-window and you can remove them from there.

There are two parts... a bottom area which shows what you have attached to the current message, and a top area that shows what you've uploaded to the forum site. If that attachment appears in any other message then you wouldn't want to delete it from the top area (otherwise the other message would have a broken attachment.)

BTW, I _really_ like the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro. I no longer use an EF-S body (well... other than my 60Da but that's an astrophotography camera body that only gets attached to telescopes, not camera lenses) so I ultimately gave my 60mm to a relative. I practically wax-poetic about what a great lens that is (I think it is quite possibly the best EF-S lens ever made by Canon.)

I have the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro and the EF-S 60mm definitely competes with respect to image quality. Considering the 60mm costs about half the price of the 100mm, I think that lens is quite a bargain (although you cannot put the EF-S 60mm on a full-frame body. Also keep in mind that an EF-S lens only has to maintain good image quality to a distance of about 15 mm from the lens center axis... whereas an EF lens has to hold good image quality to a distance of about 22mm from center axis... which explains why it's possible to get less expensive EF-S lenses that perform extremely well (it's easier for them to perform well.))

You can think of a 60mm lens on a crop-body as being the equivalent of a 100mm lens on a full-frame body. The angle of view will be about the same. A longer macro is nice for subjects where you don't necessarily want to get too close (e.g. insects that might run away) but for product & food photos you (hopefully) don't have to worry about your subject running away and it'll allow your camera to be a bit closer (which will still be fairly far back... just not nearly as far as a 100mm lens.) It's also nice to have a longer macro lens focal length for images where you might be so close that your shadow or the camera's shadow may interfere with the lighting -- a longer lens puts you farther away when doing true close-up work.

Last edited:
I personally LOVE the touchscreen and while it seems like a gimmick it is actually very functional and makes changing settings a breeze. To address the OP, the T5i and the T4i don't have much differences between themselves tech wise although the T5i will be coming out with a new 18-55mm STM lens. My personally opinion is to go with the T4i with the 18-135 STM and start saving for an upgrade. Someone else mentioned the 60D and while that is a nice camera after I played with the T4i and the 60D I didn't see where spending the extra money made a difference.

Now that I actually have my hands on the T4i and the touchscreen, although it's very easy to adjust settings, I could probably do without it. I actually ended up purchasing the T4i with the 18-55mm lens for a few reasons but mostly because of the price difference.

Gonna start saving for a new lens now :p

Last edited:

You can edit your post... but don't look in the main body of the post, look in the section below the post for a button labeled "Manage Attachments". You should see the attachments in a sub-window and you can remove them from there.

There are two parts... a bottom area which shows what you have attached to the current message, and a top area that shows what you've uploaded to the forum site. If that attachment appears in any other message then you wouldn't want to delete it from the top area (otherwise the other message would have a broken attachment.)

BTW, I _really_ like the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro. I no longer use an EF-S body (well... other than my 60Da but that's an astrophotography camera body that only gets attached to telescopes, not camera lenses) so I ultimately gave my 60mm to a relative. I practically wax-poetic about what a great lens that is (I think it is quite possibly the best EF-S lens ever made by Canon.)

I have the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro and the EF-S 60mm definitely competes with respect to image quality. Considering the 60mm costs about half the price of the 100mm, I think that lens is quite a bargain (although you cannot put the EF-S 60mm on a full-frame body. Also keep in mind that an EF-S lens only has to maintain good image quality to a distance of about 15 mm from the lens center axis... whereas an EF lens has to hold good image quality to a distance of about 22mm from center axis... which explains why it's possible to get less expensive EF-S lenses that perform extremely well (it's easier for them to perform well.))

You can think of a 60mm lens on a crop-body as being the equivalent of a 100mm lens on a full-frame body. The angle of view will be about the same. A longer macro is nice for subjects where you don't necessarily want to get too close (e.g. insects that might run away) but for product & food photos you (hopefully) don't have to worry about your subject running away and it'll allow your camera to be a bit closer (which will still be fairly far back... just not nearly as far as a 100mm lens.) It's also nice to have a longer macro lens focal length for images where you might be so close that your shadow or the camera's shadow may interfere with the lighting -- a longer lens puts you farther away when doing true close-up work.

Thanks, I was finally able to delete that other picture.

And the 60mm is on sale too. I should have posted this in my other comment, but I forgot to.

Canon Direct Store- EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Refurbished

Congrats on the purchase. As for close up shots (like macro work?)? I would go with a Canon 100mm f2.8 (L or non-L). I can provide some example pics if you are interested.

i would like to see some example pics

The Canon 50 1.8 II is a great lens for the money, if you can stretch you're budget a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 are great lenses for portraits

The Canon 50 1.8 II is a great lens for the money, if you can stretch you're budget a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 are great lenses for portraits
I'm actually trying to decide between between the Canon 50 1.4 and the Sigma

I have decided to go with the T4i as it's very cheap right now and the T4i is essentially the same as the T5i. As for another lens, I'm still a bit confused on what I should get but I'll worry about that bit later.
Thank you everyone for your help!
IMO that lens should do you well for a while. I would get a Canon 430ex II speedlite next. The speedlite gets your camera the ability to use auto focus assist beam to focus in dark situations and TTL controlled fill flash great for shooting outdoors or bounce for shooting indoors. Just those options alone will make your photos better exposed and more crisp especially in low light not to mention you can get your feet wet in flash photography cause IIRC the camera has built in wireless flash control with the 430 TTL or manual.

edit if you are really itching for a lens I would get a 50mm 1.8 cause its cheap, but I would stick with the kit till you find out what you need. Cause G.A.S. is hard on the wallet

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back