so then

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by ferny, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

If I'm going to get some cheap b&w film, what developer should I get? Any random cheap stuff? Or is there a big difference between the brands?

2. sbalsama

sbalsama TPF Noob!

The good ol' D-76 is the traditional stuff. Personally, I've never used it, I've been perfectly happy with my results in XTOL. XTOL comes in 5 liter packets, quite a bit of liquid. You'll get a lot of responses, those two I mentioned should be fine to start. Oh, and D-76 comes in smaller quantities than XTOL.

Also, if you're looking for any fixers, pick up the Heico stuff - it's a cheapo no-name brand, clears any film I've put in it at 2 and a half minutes - can be used with optional hardener (but I don't even know what that's used for!).

3. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

4. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Get some Rodinal, cheap and lasts forever, so they say! :D If you don't know how much you will be developing be aware that some developers can go bad and stop working. Happened to me last spring. :( 3 rolls of film dead. So don't buy too much of something if you won't know if it will last.

I've pretty much just used D-76, Ilfosol and Rodinal. I think D-76 only comes as a powder (not positive tho) and at this point I prefer the ease of mixing liquid chems.

5. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Rodinal is from Agfa
    D-76 & XTOL are Kodak
    Ilfosol is Ilford

6. sbalsama

sbalsama TPF Noob!

Sorry about that, they're both Kodak. I don't see the Heico stuff on either site, by the way, but pretty much any rapid fixer will work; just read the directions. May as well take a walk down to that shop of yours, save some money on shipping. Just walk in and grunt something to the effect of "D-76 please" and they should hopefully have it.

Have fun! Oh, and, you'll learn to the love the smell of the stop ;)

7. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Thanks guys, found them.

What's it smell like then? I can make some pretty bad ones on my own.

8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe it's just me (should I even say that?) but I don't notice much chemically smell when developing film - that would be D-76, anyway, the only stuff I've used. And mixed from the powder in the envelope, like Orie was saying - it's easy enough, just do it a few hours before you're ready to use it to make sure it's all dissolved.

The big smelly stuff comes when you're in the darkroom with open trays full of various developers, stop bath (yummy!!!) fix, etc. :biggrin:

That's my experience, anyway.

9. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Where do you get that Heico fixer? I just ran out of fixer and need some more, cheap is good!

10. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

11. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

12. sbalsama

sbalsama TPF Noob!

Yeah, I get it up at B&H for about 10 bucks a pop. But, uh, that one he posted is a crazyass size :p You'll have to dilute it, so hell that would probably make quite a few gallons. Just search for NH-5 and you'll find the smaller one. Sorry for the late response.