Start accepting the pro-photographers are not perfect.

Add more light. ;) You're doing this in school right? Don't they have enough lights? You can also see if they have a technical camera, put the DOF where you need it. ;)

BTW, if you're doing still lifes (rather than portraits) then you can just use the modeling lights and drag the shutter. They didn't say how long the shutter speed had to be.

Actually, this teacher is really good. She just clearly explained that she wanted clean, less noise, high quality photographs like you see in the magazine advertisement.

When I take a film slr class, I used film ISO 400.

You have to be ready to work?? and you can't eat or drink during class?? forget it! :biglaugh:

I'm kidding, that actually makes sense. I was thinking like someone else mentioned that maybe she wanted students to work on learning to adjust shutter speed and aperture more than ISO. Good to ask, an instructor ought to be able to explain the reason.

I think you often can get different opinions from different professionals or instructors, etc. There isn't always a right and wrong but different ways something can be done. I think you just need to take from a class what works for you and know that everything they suggest may not work best for you. But it's worth trying what's suggested in a class, you might learn something new.

I think she is probably trying to keep it as simple as possible, she probably used to teach on film where you were stuck with the iso of the film and she has carried it on into teaching digital, learn the basics of shutter speed and aperture then worry about iso

Actually, this teacher is really good. She just clearly explained that she wanted clean, less noise, high quality photographs like you see in the magazine advertisement.

how are you supposed to learn photography that way?

I'm not referring to you.
I didn't think you were, just didn't really understand your point.

Some of the members in this forum don't like what they hear when I talk about my experiences with other photographers. Should I tell those photographers straight in their faces, "You don't know jacks about photography!?"

It's usually easier to just listen to what these "experienced" photographers have to say and then walk away. Years doesn't always translate into knowledge.

I know for a fact Scott frequently leaves the toilet seat up.

See? Not perfect.

As a long time shooter I feel that I can offer pretty good advice on shooting, not the technical why, just the stand in front of a subject and point out what I see. As a teacher, sending students out on an assignment where they can only shoot at iso100 is good, same as having them all use the same lens on an assignment. Having the students always shoot at iso100 makes no sense to me, but there must be a reason why, ask.

There are lots of camera owners out there that have been shooting for years and still having figured out what they are doing, the years/skill curve is a flat line. I learn from other photographers I trust, what I find is more young photographers watching what I'm doing and when I walk away and look back they are standing in the same spot looking, it doesn't mean they saw the same things, but it does mean they are paying attention. Some ask me questions, most don't, I offer suggestions if I see it will help. I don't claim to be perfect, never have, I'm good at shooting a wide variety of sports/photojournalistic style events, but have weaknesses in other areas, I can't offer the best advice in weak areas and don't try and BS my way through it.

Take all the advice you receive from other photographers/teachers use what you need and delete the rest, it's not always going to be right for you.

I know for a fact Scott frequently leaves the toilet seat up.

See? Not perfect.

If this is directed at me, I always put the toilet seat down. I have my OCD under control somewhat, somewhat, somewhat.

I don't know any other pros on the forum.

So take it as a compliment wrapped in a bad joke.

I see so many accredited photographers at events that have no clue what they are doing, that they end up getting in the way. They don't do their homework before heading out and simply look lost, the up side is that they all migrate to each other looking for answers. The majority avoid talking to me, maybe I just look busy or intimidate them, regardless, they all have each other.

If she is grading your ability to work in a studio, then limiting the ISO is taking away a variable that could allow you to "cheat" and it makes it easier for her to judge how well the student can control the lighting elements and other camera settings without resorting to cranking the ISO. It puts the same limitation on all students so it's easier to judge the performance of the other variables.

Now that it's understood that it's studio photography... it all makes sense. In the film days we had a refrigerator loaded with 100 ASA film. No reason to use anything else. Lighting is never a problem... the studio is loaded with lighting gear. Rather than increasing the ISO, you change the lighting.

I think of lighting as the 4th leg of the exposure "triangle". People forget that in addition to changing the shutter speed, aperture, or ISO... you can ALSO change the lighting.

I would go farther and say it's practically the POINT of studio photography is to learn about the lighting, controlling the light, etc. If you force yourself to stay at ISO 100 and then learn to reposition the lights or dial the power up or down, you'll probably learn more about lighting by doing that.

In that regard, the class instructor is probably doing you a favor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back