Starting out! WOOHOOO

I have my eye on a D3 for my sports shooting and a D3X for my studio.
What does this have to do with anything related to what Kathy asked? That's known as an 'aside'.

Bestbuy.com has Nikon's D200 on special right now (online orders only) for only $600. When this camera was first released it cost nearly $2000. This is probably the best camera deal in America today.
If you don't mind yesterdays technology. The D200 is also known for being rather limited when compared to newer models. It uses a CCD sensor which isn't known for its high ISO performance. But the price is good right now because it's a dead product and Nikon has moved on to the much improved D300.

You say this like Canon doesn't make a metal bodied camera. The Nikon D40, D60, D80, D5000 and D90 are all plastic bodied and are just as likely to be broken if dropped. But then have you dropped a D200 lately? Are you saying you can drop a D200 and not break it? In the Canon line, only the Rebel models are plastic, everything else is magnesium framed. My bad I wasn't clear I was refering to the XS and XSi.

The D200 has Nikons built-in off camera flash triggering system CLS. With the Canon camera's you have to buy remote triggers to do the same thing.
No, you don't. Using Speedlite's, Canon can easily trigger remote flashes without the need for wireless triggers. The CLS system has more features, but you misrepresent what the Canon system can do. Learn something new everyday. More research.

My suggestion is to take a good look at the D200. Bestbuy keeps moving the price of the D200 between $600 and $680.
The D200 is a good buy right now, that's for sure. You can say it's a great deal on an older model without spreading misinformation about other brands though.
Thanks for pointing out my errors so I can provide better info next time.

Well one other qualifier for Canon cameras. "Canon designers have taken steps to ensure it is physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses on EF-only cameras. This is because the increased proximity of the lens to the sensor means that on full-frame sensor or 35mm film EF cameras the lens itself would obstruct the mirror's movement and cause damage to the lens and/or camera." (Wikipedia).

Nikon uses the F-mount (since 1959).

Canon has the EF-mount (since 1987). "EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens." (Wikipedia)

Then "In 2003, Canon introduced the EF-S lens mount, a derivative of the EF mount that is strictly for digital EOS cameras with a 1.6x crop released after 2003. All other EOS cameras that only have an EF mount will not mount EF-S lenses." (Wikipedia). Before the EF-mount they used the FD-mount so if you are looking at old Canon lens (made before 1987) be careful.
How does this have anything to do with Kathy's situation?

The EF mount came about because in the film days mounts/lenses weren't engineered to house digital components. Canon decided to redesign the mount system and put the AF drive in the lens. This was industry leading, Nikon took until 1991 before they decided they also needed to get the AF motor out of the body and into the lens. They argued for years that Canon's system was inferior because it would drive the cost of lenses up. Ironically, Nikon lenses cost more than Canon lenses. Anyway, Nikon came up with the AF-I and AF-S lenses which mount the AF motor in the lens body just like Canon - 4 years later.

The nice thing about the EF mount is that its large enough to mount Nikon F lenses, Olympus OM, Leica R and M42 lenses with adapters.

I doubt Kathy will hit her local Swap-O-Rama looking for 30 old Canon FD lenses for her XS, so this once again is a non-issue.

The Canon Rebel can mount ALL current Canon lenses, EF-S or EF. There isn't a lens in Canon's line-up that will not work on a Rebel XS. That's not true with Nikon. With the D40 or D60 you have some lenses that will work completely including autofocus and you have others that will mount but won't autofocus. You also are very limited in the number of affordable 3rd party lenses you can buy that will have autofocus capability too. Many unknowning buyers don't realize this until after they've bought their camera and find out later they'll have to spend a mint on the most expensive Nikon lenses to have autofocus capability on their entry level camera.

Now, if Kathy were thinking about buying a $2,700 5DMkII or a $4,500 1DMkIII she might have to worry about mounting entry level lenses on her professional grade camera. Yes, EF-S lenses without modification will not work on a professional series camera. But then most professionals buy professional grade glass for their cameras so this isn't an issue.
It's in response to post #9, she asked.

yeah that would be me.. hehe. sorry to confuse you! i asked about universal lens. Thanks again for the great info guys!

I started out with a point and shoot for a year which helped me out a lot on just the basics like working on my composition and finding out how good my creativity was. It also didn't overwhelm me with buttons I didn't know how to use or what they did. But when I did buy a good camera when I was familiar with all the tecnincal stuff, I got a Nikon D80 and have been very very happy with it. Its got everything you could really want with an exception of maybe a video recording device. I got mine for a super great deal at Best Buy. I don't really trust the Internet type places to buy from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back