Stock Photography-How'd I Do?

some of the simple setups are the best, i think they look ok for the tools you have.

about the rocks, i guess they just don't add anything or say anything that relates to the glasses.. before i'd say you should remove them i'd like to know why you put them there? (glasses/sunglasses on rocks at the beach could work as they've now got a context to be in)

you've got to ask yourself who's going to need a photo of glasses and rocks? not saying it's not possible but there's more chance of people wanting glasses on their own.

Make a light box or something and experiment with that as well, i got one from Maplin for under £10 and quickly tried a shot with one flash..

glasses_web.jpg

bit of a reflection from the on-camera flash to control the other flash but if i played with it more i could have gotten rid of that.

with stock photography i think (but i'm no expert) the trick is to keep things concise, straight forward and often quite simple..

Last edited:
I don't really have any input on the photos at this time (sorry about that), but...

How did you make them a thumbnail that (almost) blacks out everything but the photo when I click on them? I know that you have to be a subscriber for the file attachments, but did you do anything special to get the "black out" effect, or is that just standard with the attachments?

Thanks for explaining why you think what you do, and not just saying my work is crap.:thumbup:

Anyway, the rocks go with my phrase 'See your glasses in a whole new light'. So yeah, I put in the gradient and the rocks to coincide with my phrase!

Thanks for being polite, (Not that most of you were impolite).

Phil

PS-Please don't mind the ignorant American..how much is 10 EURs in USD?

some of the simple setups are the best, i think they look ok for the tools you have.

about the rocks, i guess they just don't add anything or say anything that relates to the glasses.. before i'd say you should remove them i'd like to know why you put them there? (glasses/sunglasses on rocks at the beach could work as they've now got a context to be in)

you've got to ask yourself who's going to need a photo of glasses and rocks? not saying it's not possible but there's more chance of people wanting glasses on their own.

Make a light box or something and experiment with that as well, i got one from Maplin for under £10 and quickly tried a shot with one flash..

glasses_web.jpg

bit of a reflection from the on-camera flash to control the other flash but if i played with it more i could have gotten rid of that.

with stock photography i think (but i'm no expert) the trick is to keep things concise, straight forward and often quite simple..

I don't really have any input on the photos at this time (sorry about that), but...

How did you make them a thumbnail that (almost) blacks out everything but the photo when I click on them? I know that you have to be a subscriber for the file attachments, but did you do anything special to get the "black out" effect, or is that just standard with the attachments?

Honestly, I was wondering the same thing!:lol: I have no idea how, but I like it!:thumbup:

10UKP = about 6USD? very cheap to buy or you can make your own, an old cardboard box, cut out the two sides and the top and secure tracing paper over the cutouts... should give it a try to see what lighting works, although i think your lighting is good anyway but it's always good to try other things.

Thanks for explaining why you think what you do, and not just saying my work is crap.:thumbup:

Anyway, the rocks go with my phrase 'See your glasses in a whole new light'. So yeah, I put in the gradient and the rocks to coincide with my phrase!

Thanks for being polite, (Not that most of you were impolite).

Phil

PS-Please don't mind the ignorant American..how much is 10 EURs in USD?

So....how do rocks have anything to do with the phrase you said. Not bashing you at all, I just can't seem to place how "See your glasses in a whole new light" has anything to do with rocks. Are the rocks suppossed to illuminate a light or something?

While, I know nothing about stock photography, I like the gradient and everything else looks really good. I just don't understand the rocks and using your phrase to explain the rocks makes even less sense now.

Edit: I don't believe anybody called your photos "crap". It seems like you have a hard time taking any criticism so make you'd be best next time not asking everybody "how you did".

ultimately, i think that you're heading in the right direction. my best advice (not that you really asked for it) is this: remember that the basic gist of stock photography is to give designers something to work with; if you think too much about a theme or you work to hard to create it, you start to limit the ways in which your work can be used

ultimately, i think that you're heading in the right direction. my best advice (not that you really asked for it) is this: remember that the basic gist of stock photography is to give designers something to work with; if you think too much about a theme or you work to hard to create it, you start to limit the ways in which your work can be used

Thanks cd!

...So whats you verdict on my work? Have I given the designers enough to work with?

Hows stock photography working out for you? What kind of money are you making if you don't mind me asking.

as somebody permanently adhered to eyeglasses, I find the rocks make me cringe in the same way that putting a good lens on rocks would make us all cringe... all I can think of is that my lenses (glasses) will be damaged. This is why I think the product doesn't marry well with the idea of rocks in the photo. in other words, they are oil and water, in my opinion, as a product shot prop.

Hope my opinion helps.

Cheers, Chris.

as somebody permanently adhered to eyeglasses, I find the rocks make me cringe in the same way that putting a good lens on rocks would make us all cringe... all I can think of is that my lenses (glasses) will be damaged. This is why I think the product doesn't marry well with the idea of rocks in the photo. in other words, they are oil and water, in my opinion, as a product shot prop.

Hope my opinion helps.

Cheers, Chris.

Thanks man, I'll consider that.

Most reactions

Back