Successful Criticism

Ya think?:lol: Im on ...6 other forums. I go there for my peace of mind, and here ....I dont know why yet. :lol:

I know, I probably have no right to say that. After all, WITF am I? I'm thinking of a desert analogy right now. Here we have rats. Lots and lots of rats. We'll always have rats. That's the nature of the place. Rats everywhere. But sometimes those rats aren't so many or such a bother.

Probably a rotten analogy, but I've only seen a couple rats today.

I know, I probably have no right to say that. After all, WITF am I? I'm thinking of a desert analogy right now. Here we have rats. Lots and lots of rats. We'll always have rats. That's the nature of the place. Rats everywhere. But sometimes those rats aren't so many or such a bother.

Probably a rotten analogy, but I've only seen a couple rats today.

Ya need a lot o traps bro. :lol:

Glad I read this. I didn't know the unwritten rules here. All forums have them.

I want all the criticism I can get. "That's nice" is truly good to hear but I can get that from friends and family, and it won't help me improve. Criticisms could make me better. I have a thick skin. The occasional unconstructive critics don't bother me. I've played music for audiences for years. You learn that you'll get reactions from all kinds. You can't get upset when someone doesn't like your work.

I don't think any credentials are needed for offering criticism. Someone doesn't have to be able to write a song to tell me that a song I wrote isn't very good. Most of you folks are much, much better photographers than I am, but I have eyes. Since I've been checking this place out, I've seen a number of photos by terrific talents where I felt like posting "please get rid of the processed color and give me some real colors," but I shut up. Having read this thread, I'll keep shutting up.

Don't mean to sound critical. This is a good place with a lot of good people.

A critique happens when a critic and a photographer love each other very much.

It should be done when the mood is right and both parties are receptive. Sometimes it's very sweet and loving and sometimes it's rough.

It should generally be presented in private, and sometimes with the lights on.

It's usually most successful when both parties get what they want or need out of it and neither one feels guilty the next morning.

i am so in the mood to go critique something now.

Glad I read this. I didn't know the unwritten rules here. All forums have them.

I want all the criticism I can get. "That's nice" is truly good to hear but I can get that from friends and family, and it won't help me improve. Criticisms could make me better. I have a thick skin. The occasional unconstructive critics don't bother me. I've played music for audiences for years. You learn that you'll get reactions from all kinds. You can't get upset when someone doesn't like your work.

I don't think any credentials are needed for offering criticism. Someone doesn't have to be able to write a song to tell me that a song I wrote isn't very good. Most of you folks are much, much better photographers than I am, but I have eyes. Since I've been checking this place out, I've seen a number of photos by terrific talents where I felt like posting "please get rid of the processed color and give me some real colors," but I shut up. Having read this thread, I'll keep shutting up.

Don't mean to sound critical. This is a good place with a lot of good people.

See, now your choices are good for you- and by requesting that you'll probably have a good chance of getting the criticism you're looking for.

Not everyone is like that though, and it's not fair to assume that blunt and subjectively 'honest' is not intrusive or rude. There are a lot of variations and variations of variations.

For example:

Empirical - Professionals / Amatuers
Rhetorical - Landscapes / Objects / Portraits / Nudes
Aesthetic - Realism / Pictorialism

Photographers can fall into one, some, or even all of these classifications to different degrees.

To assume that what you believe to be the best for you is also the best for everyone, despite however aggressive and intrusive, I believe is improper, as well as inviting to those with various levels of emotional disorder to vent on someone undeserving.

A little more on point-
- Someone doesn't care for "processed color."
- Someone doesn't care for "unprocessed color."

To me, I see no sense in saying anything unless I like what I see. It's their vision, not mine.

Criticism can be helpful, if asked for specifically, and only to a point. After that I believe it's more about some weird type of psychological need that isn't being fullfilled, a dysfunction. More so with those who appear to drool over the opportunity to aggressively criticise without request.

Okay, I'm a newbie, and have some trollish qualities to the eyes of some, but I will post here nonetheless.

There was another person in another thread that said it well. He said that you don't have to be a great photographer to be a great critic, which I agree with. To give the type of C&C people want on here MOST of the time, you should have an understanding of exposure, composition, etc. But on a more primary level of critique, its not necessary. And you should be able to tell someone how you feel about their photo without having to prove that you're worthy to post C&C. If the OP is concerned with getting bad advice, IMO it is his or her responsibility to do determine the level of thought each criticism should be given.

This is an internet forum, people. If you want a professional atmosphere, go take a class or subscribe to a "professionals only" forum. I'm sure there's one on the internet somewhere. I'll admit that when I first started posting here, I was saying some dumb stuff. Since then, I have learned not to say anything other than what I'm confident in saying, and always put a disclaimer of my experience level on every C&C post.

Also, I was amazed to find people getting upset at me not posting enough of my own photos. This floored me. I figured giving advice to be somewhat selfless and nice to do, but it seems some on here would rather see people post photos and not give critique to others than vice-versa. I felt somewhat narcissistic posting my own photos on here at first, but I found this to be the opposite, as it leaves you vulnerable to critical statements.

Anyway, I like the idea someone else had about putting something out beside our "ok to edit photo" statement is, that simply says if you view this forum's primary motive as a serious venture to improve your skill, or a fun forum that will hopefully teach you some things. That a way, the critique you get will be more tailored to your personality.

Also, the problems this forum has are not just internet based. I've found trolls in all walks of life. My friend, although I love him to death is one, where he always downplays your story and has a better one. Its a personality trait, and how much I hate to say it, we have to live with these sorts of people. I for one may be a troll, but I try to admit my flaws at least, so no one can accuse me of trying to act better than others.

I am struggling getting you here abrax. Are you sensitive and C&C hurts your feelings and your fragile ego cant take it or are you just so outraged that lesser beings would have the audacity to crit you that you would like to make sure they know the error of their ways and never lay eyes on your amazing, out of this world, cant be improved work.

Try being strait about this for once

I am struggling getting you here abrax. Are you sensitive and C&C hurts your feelings and your fragile ego cant take it or are you just so outraged that lesser beings would have the audacity to crit you that you would like to make sure they know the error of their ways and never lay eyes on your amazing, out of this world, cant be improved work.

Drop your snippy little attitude, ask real nice and respectful, and we'll discuss it.

Emerana, IMO you are exhibiting troll-like behaviour with the aggressive wording of your post. Sounds like you're trying to pick a fight. That's not how we do things on this forum.

Alright, Abraxas, why is this topic so important to you as an individual?

Emerana, IMO you are exhibiting troll-like behaviour with the aggressive wording of your post. Sounds like you're trying to pick a fight. That's not how we do things on this forum.

Lets not call names now :hugs: Perhaps my wording was blunt but not harm meant.

Most reactions

Back