Time for an upgrade

biancarose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadylittleroad.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a really nice grant at school this coming semester, and I want to upgrade my camera. I currently
have a Nikon D40. I would really like some advice on what camera to upgrade too. I would probably
like to get a lense as well. I have about 1000 to spend.
Any suggestions?
I was thinking about getting the D90. I have heard that it is a great camera. Any thoughts on that?
I really want to research this, and make sure I am getting a camera that I can hold on to for
atleast a couple years while I grow more as a photographer.
Just for a bit of info on my photography, I take mostly concert pictures, low lights or sometimes a lot
of pyro action (yea pyro) lol. A lot of the bands I shoot are like crazy animals on the stage, they
dont stand still and they rock out, so I need something to keep up.

The D90 would be an excellent choice in my opinion since it's within your budget and has excellent high ISO performance not to mention all the control you'd need (plus video and Live View).

Maybe pick up a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 or 50mm f/1.8 to shoot with indoors since since the D90 will auto focus those lenses.

The D90 would be an excellent choice in my opinion since it's within your budget and has excellent high ISO performance not to mention all the control you'd need (plus video and Live View).

Maybe pick up a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 or 50mm f/1.8 to shoot with indoors since since the D90 will auto focus those lenses.

I see on Adorama, I can get a refurbished by Nikon D90 for 769.95

NE thoughts on the whole refurbished thing? I would assume it is a good working camera as well.

Refurbs are great. Never heard anything go wrong with one.

As long as you get a warranty and such with it in case the refurbrishing didn't work properly, then its all good :)

I've purchased non-photo refurbrished electronics and never had an issue

Refurbs have a lower chance of being problematic since each one is individually gone through and checked out.

I'd just spend the money on lenses. Later on you can upgrade, but lenses come before bodies (as long as you have one camera, at least).

Are you ever going to go full frame? Otherwise, the 35mm f/1.8 is a great lens for the D40. What are your current lenses?

A factory refurb should not be too much of a concern. They have gone through all the 29 point inspections (isn't that what CarMax advertises?) You should still get the one year warranty. If purchased through Adorama, B&H or other reputable dealers, then it should be fine.

The D90 is a great choice and I've purchased factory refurbs before and will do so again in the future. They're as good as new and the price simply can't be beat.

I'd just spend the money on lenses. Later on you can upgrade, but lenses come before bodies (as long as you have one camera, at least).

Are you ever going to go full frame? Otherwise, the 35mm f/1.8 is a great lens for the D40. What are your current lenses?

I of course want to get more lenses, but right now if I buy a lense, I have to get an AFS lense because of the D40 situation. I figured in the long run it would be cheaper to upgrade.

The lenses I have at the moment are the Nikon 18-55 and the Nikon 55-200

You can still get non AF-S lenses, you'll just need to manually focus them.

But... I still say upgrade the body, it's what I did and I couldn't be happier - I just took the long road (D40-D80-D200-D90).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back