Weather Sealing for the noob

shivaswrath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've looked through the boards and haven't gotten a striaghtforward answer:

I'm a noob, I'll probably get a entry dSLR (pentax k100d super or nikon D40) and use the kit lens for awhile and never change it.

Will I need to be concerned with weather seals? Taking it into humid environments and mucking up the CCD?

If I do ever change the lens, it would be in an enclosed environment (hotel room, etc.) and I'd use a air can (use to blow dust off of computer equipment) and a lens cleaner to aid in the swap. . .

I'd like to make an informed decision since I'd consider the k10d just because it has better sealing than the k100d super. . .the price difference is big enough to start a new thread!

Weather sealing is nice but you shouldn't need it I wouldn't think. I change lenses all the time and a lot of times in less than ideal conditions and I have had no problems as far as that goes.

Weather sealing is for pro photographers who might have to shoot in the rain or blowing dust or sand etc. That's why it's usually only found on the pro level bodies.

If you are a newb, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, weather sealing is really good if your sitting on a boat off the alaska coast with 15 foot swells, anything less and your better off just being careful.

Weathersealing is nice to have but shouldn't be the deciding factor. Besides, for a camera to be properly weathersealed you'll need to have both body and lens sealed. One common bad habit I see often is that people point the camera upwards when changing the lens. It is a good habit to point the body downward and try to protect it from the elements while making the lens change.

For me... the weather sealed body and lens came in handy during my trip to see Niagara falls (Wonderful Canadian side). Being close to the falls is like standing in a torrential rain storm. It also was a little peace of mind when I occasionally shoot in the rain...

A plastic bag and some rubber bands will allow you to shoot in mild rain with any camera.

If I do ever change the lens, it would be in an enclosed environment (hotel room, etc.)

And my questions for you are -
Why are you taking most of your pictures in a hotel room?
Does your wife/mother know about this sneaking out to a hotel room to take pictures?
Do you have a website?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

And my questions for you are -
Why are you taking most of your pictures in a hotel room?
Does your wife/mother know about this sneaking out to a hotel room to take pictures?
Do you have a website?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

a guy's got to fund his burgeoning photography skills somehow, right?:mrgreen:

what i meant was that I'd change the lens before I go out in my hotel room, if I"m in a hotel room. . .and yes, people could be in the room as well, and I might even take pictures of them. . .tasteful pictures of course. . .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back