What are we here for?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sxesweets, Jun 7, 2009.

1. sxesweets

sxesweets TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Are we here to share information/ ask questions or just to share images, C&C and say ooohh, look what new toy I got?

I know a lot of the same questions have been asked in the past and likely even today more than once. And often, especially these days the responses are to do a search, fair enough, I understand that it is tiring/ frustrating to have to answer time and time again. I get it that it will bog down the site too... But if all we are ever telling people to do is search and find other resources I don't get the point of the "newbie, ect. " sections. Should newbies just post pictures for c&c and hope we've gotten it right? Maybe make a post containing the useful sites/ links we have found? I'm really hoping I'm not comming off as sarcastic. I just think I maybe don't understand my "role" in this community.

One person, right off the bat, that I'd like to thank is Samanax, not to say that lots of other people haven't been great about answering my questions, but because every time I see one of "those" threads he has usually been great about posting useful links. Thanks. Thanks to all the people who have contributed responses to questions I have had.

It's a personal problem I know... but my computer recently crashed/died and I lost EVERY single bookmark I ever had, I spent hours finding the info I needed wanted and like a good book I refered to it religiously, even printed some pages to carry with me or read on long trips:blushing: With a almost one year old and renovations going on I don't get much time to read/surf but I'm not willing to give up on trying to get to use my camera and learn because I enjoy it but I refuse to ask questions on here... I was amazed I didn't get jumped on for asking about editing because there are tutorials avaliable.

So, what are we here for?

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm here to learn, enjoy and explore photography while helping others where I can.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm just here for the free BEER!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

4. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm here for the babes. :lol:

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm trying to get laid..... :grumpy:

6. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know. Let me Google that for you. :p

7. DavidElliot

DavidElliot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    FREE BEER?! WHERE!?!?!

i've obviously been looking at the wrong threads apparently. :grumpy:

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :scratch:
    We there is a bar/pub round here and nobody told me?
    Don't tell me its in that subscribers section!

As for why we are all here - all for different reasons.
    AS for those that like to keep saying "google it" meh just don't pay any attention to their post and read the ones that do give you the info you need. Google and searching for info are great ways of getting information, but in so many cases you often have to have an idea of what your actually looking for inorder to sift the data and results you get to actually get the answer you want/need.
    Its a more complicated thing when your new to the hobby so sometimes the human touch is a more steady way of getting the info.

Sadly some people get bord with the forums constantly having the same talks over and over (as we get new photographers over an over) - I never hold to this thinking - if the forum is not talking about what you want to talk about then start your own thread talking about it - one of two things will then happen.
    a) people start talking about something that you want to talk about
    b) it gets ignored - wait and try again another day/week/month.

Forum threads to entertain are not just going to appear out of thin air.

Welcome to TPF

9. Bakko

Bakko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ftw!!

10. slash

slash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i came here due to the fact that i created a similar site that solely focus on selling used gear ( and i was going to just try to promote it, but found this site so compelling that i wanted to be apart of the community while i build my site.

i have run into some very high strung very condescending people here that hide behind their computers and have no self esteem but for the most part have found this fourm very useful and wil continue to learn, post and annoy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the same with any and every online community. Its a sympton of the anonymous internet world. You just ignore those people and move on. Some are just looking for emotional responses and try their best and getting them out of you.

I enjoy TPF because there aren't that many around so the ignore list is somewhat small hehe.

Why am I here? To learn, share and discuss. I am still new to photography and enjoy reading. I love looking and pictures and I find that giving CC helps me understand and take the time to think about a picture, which in turn ends up benefitting me because I will be more aware when taking my own images.

I like to read about ideas, read about techniques which are still new to me.

Will I be here 5 years from now? 2 years from now? I don't know. But as with all online communities, people come and go. For now, I'm enjoying it and benefitting from it so I try and help other ppl benefit from my limited knowledge while I am here.

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit