What do you think?

tbphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.treybohonphotography.showitsite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never had anyone critic my photos, other than my clients. What do you all think of them? any opinions welcome!

3199972129_1fff937b4c_o.jpg

3199972119_f63fdb25cb_o.jpg

3199972115_f397705a84_o.jpg

3199972135_33d1bb3468_o.jpg

I find the first three very appealing, especially the first one.

The last is underexposed and he seems fuzzy around the edges, though the pose is fine - it's definitely not of the same quality as the first three.

Number one:

I like shot number one, but might have used a longer lens because his head looks huge. Otherwise great shot.

Number two:

While the composition is technically sound, it doesn't do much for me. This would have been better with a more shallow DOF.

Number three:

Your best out of the four by far. The subject looks relaxed. Nice just off-center portrait pose. The only thing I might do differently is add a warm (gold) reflector to camera right.

Number Four:

This is a good shot, but is in desperate need of flash for fill.

Just my suggestions.

-Nick

I hope this is ok, but though the photos are well composed I think you might work on how you get your smiles. they look like you said "say cheese". the girl looks best because she smiles most naturally on cue (girls naturally know how to look their best, boys usually get uncomfortable). when I shoot kids, I usually try to capture who they are. sometimes that's not a smile. so I feel the first one is actually the best as it is the most natural looking shot. it's the one the parent will love, the others they will accept as good but never love forever.

3rd one is the best...

I'm not an expert or anything, but I think they're very nice. I love the one of the girl leaning on the tree, the lighting is wonderful. And the second one of the boy.

One thing that stands out to me immediately: apart from the girl, all your clients wear clothes that largely blend with the background. It makes your job quite difficult. You got away with it with the first photo, but not with the second. Brown sweater, brown wheel, brown (ish) eyes, hair and background - it all makes the pic colorwise as dull as a brownie.;)
Other than that - the first photo is interesting even though the composition is weird. Proportions are skewed probably due to the short focal length. Being a cynic I would turn his head even more and put it on a plate :twisted:
Whites are seriously overblown there. It is a big no-no. But again you (kind of) got away with it all that thanks to the boy's lovely smile. I like the fact that all of your clients look more or less relaxed and comfortable - that's another credit to you as a photographer.
I am not impressed with the composition of your photos as it lacks space and air to me. They are very closely cropped and center-weighted, as a result the pictures ( apart from the first one) lack any dynamic tension, interesting balance ( or if it is here it is wrong - just look at the falling boy on the 2nd photo) and look very static. The background serves no purpose there.
Have you tried to use a built-in flash to illuminate the face on the last photo? It is too dark, and the background is, again, overblown.
The girl is probably the best photo, even though you could use the light more to your advantage. But I have some problems with the upper part. It is cropped too tight above her head, and look at the background: what is it - a lake, a road ? I can not tell and this narrow bluish strip should not be there, the background should be all grass and leaves.
That is my first impressions and what really springs to mind first. We have different eyes of cours, but I hope it helps.

Oh well, it is the 2009 post, just noticed. Anyway.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back