What is the best magazine for digital photography?

To be honest, most of the magazines are about 70% advertisements 20% gear reviews\tests and 10% often mundane articles. I still subscribe to Shutterbug, mostly because I enjoy having something photography related to look thru once a month. There is a magazine that comes out 4 times a year called "Photographic" that does have interesting and often useful info in it. Barnes and Noble should have it, its not available as a subscription and if I recall there are no ads. The fall issue should be available now.

Thank you for your reply!
I am looking to increase my post production skills so that is my main interest and goal

Most of what I see in the magazines out are really basic articles and guides for stuff you can find a million places online.

I totaly agree

Pick up a copy of Playboy. You will learn all about Curves! :1251:

Derrel makes a very good point. Yes, the internet has a ton of stuff on it. But part of the value of old traditional paper journalism outlets (even if they have moved to online in some cases) is that they have editors, they're worried about getting sued so they check some of the stuff they print/publish. And yeah, there are usually a ton of ads. But not all magazines are created equally. Stuff I used to subscribe to then would be less interesting to me now. It truly is about what you're seeking to focus on.

Here is a list of the print editions I've subscribed to at one point in the past (not all at one time of course and in no particular order):
--Peterson's Photographic
--Practical Photography
--American Photo
--Digital Camera World
--Advanced Photographer
--Shutterbug
--Digital PhotoPro
--Digital Photo
--Outdoor Photographer

And I think I've subscribed to (but honestly can't remember for sure if I did and I don't have paper copies laying around with my mailing address on them):
--Professional Photographer Magazine
--a bunch of association or trade group or industry magazines (subscribed to a magazine that Nikon put out for instance).

I'm sure I'm leaving a few off. But the point is everyone in this thread could look at this list of magazines and you'd have a different favorite...based on what you shoot, the areas you want more details on

I picked up a copy of Shutterbug at B&N. Very nice and very different from Popular Photography. I think they complement one another. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Rangefinder seems like the only one worth reading anymore. For me anyway. A lot of the magazines are little more than gear reviews for the latest gadgets. If you like that sort of thing, great. It bores the hell out of me though.

I was getting B&W magazine for a while, but let my subscription expire a few years ago. The quality really seemed to be going downhill. JPG artifacts in photos, stuff like that. It was more of an 'art' magazine anyway, maybe not what you're looking for. Generally good photography, but no "how-to" articles or technical details on any of the photos in the magazine.

they are redundant.
Go to the library, read a year's worth and then spend your money on a mag that promotes photography as art.

Yes, like LensWork.

If you think UK magazines are rubbish you should see the American ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your responses. There are too many magazines to choose from I suppose I would be better off going to B&N and just see the content of each and every magazine. In the past I have seen some European magazines, they were kind of expensive but thick and reach in content. Unfortunately they were not available for subscription
Once again, many thanks for your participation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back