What magazine do you subscribe to?...or not

Polyphony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wasn't sure where to post this, hope this is ok.

For several years, I was subscribed to National Geographic Adventure magazine. They canceled this publication recently and now I am looking for a magazine to take its place. I figured why not try a photography magazine since I had never really picked one up before. After doing some research online, I realized that a lot of photo mags were ad filled, ad driven, or were not worth their subscription price. So I ask, what magazine do you subscribe to (photo related) and do you think it's worth it?

Things I am looking for in a photo magazine:
1. Digital related
2. Pictures :D
3. Most importantly, how to articles. Like, How to get this shot under these conditions. Or, If you want your pictures to look like this, try this. etc. In other words, I want it to be informative. I do not want to read stories about photographers or read reviews on equipment.

Any recommendations?

I scored a free subscription to Popular Photography. I've only gotten 2 issues so far but I like it.

I agree with KmH.

I haven't subscribed to any magazine since I let my NG subs go. They are no magazines worth the expense that I have seen in years.

Now that I am in Europe I'm hoping to find some decent art ones and if I do, I will let you know.

The only magazine I still get is B&W.
BLACK & WHITE MAGAZINE | Main Page

You won't find any of this in it though:
3. Most importantly, how to articles. Like, How to get this shot under these conditions. Or, If you want your pictures to look like this, try this. etc. In other words, I want it to be informative. I do not want to read stories about photographers or read reviews on equipment.

There are no gear reviews, or how-to articles. There is usually a little bio of the featured photographers.

It's more geared towards art collectors than anyone else. Still has good photography in it though.

All of the ads (there aren't really that many) are for galleries and stuff like that.

Barnes & Noble has a magazine imported from the UK called "Digital Camera World" which is pretty good and pretty much meets what your looking for. The only thing though (cause its an import) is the subscription is a little expensive; $61 for a year subscription.

You can take a peek inside the magazine here,
Digital Camera World - 1-year subscription, Magazine - Barnes & Noble

It seems like anything in photography is alittle pricy I guess that is what keeps every single person on earth being a photographer. But i have found it true anything that is worth something isn't cheap

Why is anyone SOL? There are many magazines with good info and inspiring work. Popular photograpghy, Shutterbug, outdoor photographer, if I go out to my work truck there are a bunch of other ones as well. There are some more dedicated to PP, and some with lots of the newest gear. As most magazines, there is plenty of advertising, but there is a lot of good information. I have read some great articles in Shutterbug especially. Like someone else said there are a lot of Euro mags at Barnes and Nobles, but they are expensive (like 15.00 per issue) But they do look nice.

I think you may be more interested in some of the off shoots of shutterbug and the others, sometimes you will see biannual or quarterly how to type magazines, but they are usually published by the same big few that produce the ones I listed though.

I used to buy photo mags but i don't really any more. There was a good UK magazine i got but it was expensive since it was from the UK.. like 10 or 12$ For me, most of the gear is way too far out of my league that i don't care about it.I also find it FILLED with ads but i have come to deal with it as they all see like that. I have a few issues of shutterbug which isnt too bad, and american photo is ok. I have another one... the one from the UK but it cant remember the name of it. It may be the one skyclad is talking about... i'd have to check in the morning.

If you go to a magazine store or a major book store and take a look in the magazine section and check the photo mags there ARE magazines that have what you are looking for, you just have to search a bit and look and see. I've sat in Chapters for like half an hour flipping through magazines before.

The thing with hobby magazines is that i find them terrible overpriced for what they are. Atleast with Shutterbug, it's about $6 and its a fairly decent sized and has some good info in it.

But yea, thats why i dont really buy photo magazines that much anymore. Every once in awhile i'll pick one or two up but i dont subscribe to any.

I bought a few photography mags in the past but soon realised that they just regurgitated the same old stuff over and over. 'How to shoot great black and whites' etc...

The most interesting thing I found were the reviews and news stories, but you can find them for free on the web! And they are more up to date.

I may buy one if I'm going on holiday but that's about it.

Thanks everyone. That UK magazine is EXACTLY what I'm looking for (I flipped through the whole thing online). It sucks that it's $60 for a subscription. I am going to check out Shutterbug and see what's up with that mag.

"...or not"

i don't subscribe to 'nugget'.

I subscribe to Popular Photography, Shutterbug, and have the Nat. geo. Full cdrom set. I read them at work. More for gear and inspiration than anything.

From the UK (and more expensive than the US magazines) Digital Camera and Digital Photographer are pretty decent. I am fortunate to have a co-worker pass on theirs to me.

After trying a few US magazines, I really like the two form the UK I mentioned better. Not sure I would subscribe due to the cost, but still found them pretty good and would if I had extra money to spend. I guess it depends on how you learn, what you already know, and if the articles and images inspire you, and if you enjoy the medium of a magazine.

Most reactions

Back