Whats in your glass tonight?

That is some heavy duty painkiller snerd, take care.
That it is. I only use it about once a month for a couple of days when it's the worst. Some months I can even skip that dose. But I have to hole up at home for those 2 days the times that I do. I'll be good to go by Saturday.

Harney and Sons Organic Rooibos Chai.
That stuff will give you headaches. Another Cookie story ... grilled some salmon tonight. (Marinated in my famous citrus marinade.) Cook likea salmon and readily ate the pieces I gave her. I also tossed some overcooked/blacken pieces into her food dish. She carefully plucked the blacken pieces from her dish and nicely stacked then next to her bowl. Love that dog.

Last edited:
Harney and Sons Organic Rooibos Chai.
That stuff will give you headaches. Another Cookie story ... grilled some salmon tonight. (Marinated in my famous citrus marinade.) Cook like salmon and readily ate the pieces I gave her. I also tossed some overcooked/blacken pieces into her food dish. She carefully plucked the blacken pieces from her dish and nicely stacked then next to her bowl. Love that dog.

Nah, it's my stupid meat sack and its propensity for hormonally-driven headaches that give me a headache. Well, also bright lights and some beers can trigger them.

Cookie! :heartpump:

Four ice cubes, 4 oz of spiced rum, 1 oz simple syrup, juice from 1/4 of a lime.
Known today as a Daiquiri.

The Daiquiri is very similar to the Royal Navy days gone by daily ration called grog - rum, water, sugar, and lemon or lime juice introduced August 21, 1740 by Vice Admiral Edward Vernon. Vernon wore a coat made of grogram cloth and was nicknamed 'Old Grogram' or just 'Old Grog' (by the cool sailors).
Drinking water had to be brought on ships of the day in casks. Algae formed in the casks and the water became slimy. This not very appealing, stagnant water was first mixed with beer or wine to make it more drinkable, but the beer and wine also had to be stored in casks which magnified storage issues.
Each sailor's daily ration of this water/beer mix was a gallon per sailor - requiring lots of casks.

A 1/2 pint of rum gradually replaced the water/beer or wine mix. The rum was mixed with 1 quart of water (4 parts water to 1 part rum) and was issued in 2 servings - one before noon and the other at the end of the working day. The ration was made regulation in the Royal Navy in 1756 even though some sailors would stockpile their rations for several days to drink all at once (binge drinkers of the mid-1700s! Who knew!).

It was noticed that Admiral Vernon's sailors were obviously healthier than all other sailors in the Royal Navy, and though they didn't understand it at the time, the reason was the vitamin C from the lemon or lime juice used to offset the foul taste of the water from the casks. The vitamin C in the juice helped ward off disease - mainly scurvy.

British sailors got the nickname "limeys" for all the limes used to flavor their Grog.

Last edited:
Four ice cubes, 4 oz of spiced rum, 1 oz simple syrup, juice from 1/4 of a lime.
Known today as a Daiquiri.

The Daiquiri is very similar to the Royal Navy days gone by daily ration called grog - rum, water, sugar, and lemon or lime juice introduced August 21, 1740 by Vice Admiral Edward Vernon. Vernon wore a coat made of grogram cloth and was nicknamed 'Old Grogram' or just 'Old Grog' (by the cool sailors).
Drinking water had to be brought on ships of the day in casks. Algae formed in the casks and the water became slimy. This not very appealing, stagnant water was first mixed with beer or wine to make it more drinkable, but the beer and wine also had to be stored in casks which magnified storage issues.
Each sailor's daily ration of this water/beer mix was a gallon per sailor - requiring lots of casks.

A 1/2 pint of rum gradually replaced the water/beer or wine mix. The rum was mixed with 1 quart of water (4 parts water to 1 part rum) and was issued in 2 servings - one before noon and the other at the end of the working day. The ration was made regulation in the Royal Navy in 1756 even though some sailors would stockpile their rations for several days to drink all at once (binge drinkers of the mid-1700s! Who knew!).

It was noticed that Admiral Vernon's sailors were obviously healthier than all other sailors in the Royal Navy, and though they didn't understand it at the time, the reason was the vitamin C from the lemon or lime juice used to offset the foul taste of the water from the casks. The vitamin C in the juice helped ward off disease - mainly scurvy.

British sailors got the nickname "limeys" for all the limes used to flavor their Grog.

I'm glad someone else appreciates a proper Daiquiri. Every summer, my boyfriend and I host a party and we always have a featured cocktail. One year we made Daiquiris. Real ones. Good rum, fresh syrup, fresh lime juice. One of our friends had started dating a woman who got very excited when she heard what we'd be serving.

The day of the party comes, they arrive and I hand them their drinks. She says, 'What's this??" "It's your Daiquiri." I say. She took one sip and didn't want anymore.

She thought we would be serving frozen drinks from a mix. :048:

I.Do.Not.Do.Mixes.

I.Do.Not.Do.Mixes.
Not even Skinny Girl?! :applause:

images

Went to a little local Mexican place and had a nice, large Margarita to celebrate the end of a kinda horrid work week

And for the record, Lenny, they do NOT use mixes. It's why I love them. :D

Kinda want to break out the Fireball whiskey now that I'm home, but mixing hard liquor is an almost guaranteed way for me to wake up with a migraine, so I think I'll just be happy with the margarita.

still a little early for me, but there will be a tot of Appleton's Reserve a little later.

You know what's funny about migraines and booze?

Whenever Buzz and I go into the city, there's a little Italian place we always like to go to, and we always get martinis. Real ones, not these horrifyingly sweet fruity concoctions they call "martinis" just because they're served in the same kind of glass. Gin (Bombay Sapphire), vermouth, olives. Done.

One night, I had a headache and decided to have one anyway because hell, I already had the headache and the drink wouldn't make it worse. And it didn't. It made the headache better!

This happened a few times, both with gin and vodka. So now I'm thinking since I have one of my migraines, it's time for me to pour myself a little of the vodka I have in the freezer instead of taking any more Advil :D

Brown liquors, however, do the opposite. Bourbon, Scotch, or rye don't help the migraines at all, unfortunately :p

So now I'm thinking since I have one of my migraines, it's time for me to pour myself a little of the vodka I have in the freezer instead of taking any more Advil :D
See? You now have a medicinal reason to hit the hootch. Could life be any better?!? :lol:

Will probably have a Scott Paul pinot noir later tonight. (Although Sharon's got me craving a margarita all of a sudden.) Right now, sipping coffee.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back