William

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just playing around with an idea I've always wanted to try out.

50mm @f/1.8 on a 5D MKII.
img_6395_1_by_danostergren-dbr1k88.jpg

Pretty dark. Interesting image.

Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of abstract portraiture where the subject is OOF so I definitely have a bias on this one.

I think that this is deep and meaningful and could be interpreted in a handful of different ways, and I think the concept is neat.

The execution isn’t up to your normal standards in my opinion though, it just doesn’t draw me in like your usual work does.

Just curious- did you move William about to experiment to varying degrees of OOF, before you selected this one? This one seems to nicely accomplish to artistic goal, but I just wondered if this was a one-and-done shoot or if you experimented various options.

Also, I'd clone/heal out the cross growing out of his shoulder.

Cool image.

Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of abstract portraiture where the subject is OOF so I definitely have a bias on this one.

I think that this is deep and meaningful and could be interpreted in a handful of different ways, and I think the concept is neat.

The execution isn’t up to your normal standards in my opinion though, it just doesn’t draw me in like your usual work does.
There are no eyes to focus on and the main focal point is the background rather than the person in the frame, so I wouldn't expect it to hold up to my other photos. I personally wouldn't compare this to my other work or even put it in the same genre.

Last edited:
Just curious- did you move William about to experiment to varying degrees of OOF, before you selected this one? This one seems to nicely accomplish to artistic goal, but I just wondered if this was a one-and-done shoot or if you experimented various options.

Also, I'd clone/heal out the cross growing out of his shoulder.

Cool image.
I believe the only other shot I took of this composition was with the model in focus standing in the same place, and then I reversed the focus and aimed it at the gravestones behind him instead.

The cross above the shoulder is one of my favorite details in the shot. Thank you for the critique though.

I did one of my son and used a really slow shutter speed and had him jump up and down. He looked like a ghost in a grave yard. I never posted it as it was too strange, almost demonic looking for my eyes. He has an 8 x 10 of it hanging in his house.

There are no eyes to focus on and the main focal point is the background rather than the person in the frame, so I wouldn't expect it to hold up to my other photos. I personally wouldn't compare this to my other work or even put it in the same genre.

I fully agree. I’ve just come to expect so much from you haha

I fully agree. I’ve just come to expect so much from you haha
Thanks?

Not your normal style, but it is an outstanding fine art piece! I really love it!!! The fog just works perfectly here.

Not your normal style, but it is an outstanding fine art piece! I really love it!!! The fog just works perfectly here.
Thank you. I definitely wouldn't put this in my portrait or fashion portfolio, but I agree it does well as an expressive fine art piece.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back