Would i be OK?

rein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, so im starting to get into the business side of photography, mainly covering events and such and a lil here and there if possible.

this is a list of what i have right now

Rebel XTI
canon 28-135mm IS
canon 50mm 1.8
canon 430ex
Canon Battery grip
Bounce card
Gary fong light sphere
4 batteries
8 gb worth of memory cards
circular polirizer
canon rc-1 remote

would i be ok togo ahead and start my business with this gear?

Last edited:
I would submit that if you need to ask such a question, you're not ready. You're gear might be, but you're not. Remember the business of photography is all about business and has very little to do with photography.

What he said. You can go ahead and do it as a hobby that earns you some extra money, but running a real business is a tremendously difficult thing to do. Not on the photography side either. There's finance and insurance and paperwork and records and a whole bunch of other things. If you want to run a business, take a course at a college to learn how to do it. You absolutely need to if you want to actually have a business.

Or go into partnership with someone who can do the management stuff while you take the photos and trust that they aren't running the business into the ground.

I only see one camera on that list. You need backup equipment when covering events.

well i think for your first client's try asking your friends. if they are satisfied with your work or not. constructive criticism will apply here..

so i guess its OK to earn a lil money here and there? friends, family, friends of friends?

as for the back up, for now i will rent if i get anyevents, then when it goes good, ill definitely get another body, for now im aiming to get the 17-55 2.8, only debating between canon or sigma

Not to be sardonic... but
why do you need such validation? Of course it's ok to earn a little money here and there. That's how businesses get started. Or you could just donate all your time and do it for free.

lol, sorry, i just dont want any trouble with legal stuff. coz im not even a citizen yet. (6 more months, yipee)

back on topic, i recently joined a local photography club, they are conducting a lecture on saturday on "starting a photography business" it was like 20 bucks, i signed up for it.

thanks for all the comments

as for the back up, for now i will rent if i get anyevents, then when it goes good, ill definitely get another body, for now im aiming to get the 17-55 2.8, only debating between canon or sigma

That will cover the short end, but you still need at least a 70mm to 200mm 2.8 to cover the long end with a tele-extender for possible outside use at greater distances.

skieur

yes, ill get that after the 17-55

Most reactions

New Topics

Back