$1000 for a lighting kit, what would you choose?

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
I'm looking to get a flash lighting kit to be used both for weddings and studio work.
I currently own an SB-900, SB-600, and 2 Vivitar 285HV flashes. 3 Umbrella's (2 shoot through, 1 reflector) and a softbox. These are doing a great job for my general purpose lighting but they will not give me the recycle times nor the battery life (they also might lack the power) that I will require.
The question is what kit would you buy with $1000.
Your input is appreciated, thanks.

If you want something for weddings and other uses...then I agree with Mike E. Stick with Nikon units (maybe SB-800s) so that you can easily use them on-camera as well as off-camera.

They can be used in studio situations and should have enough power. If you want to improve battery life & recycle times, then Quantum Turbo that Mike mentioned, is a good option.

Or are you looking for actual studio monolights?
If so, I'd suggest looking at Alienbee, Elinchrom, Calumet etc.

After you put it that way I am wondering... what would be the benefit of getting monolights over nikon units?

Well, if you are going to shoot in a studio type situation, monolights can be better to work with. They are typically more powerful (if you need it) they usually have modeling lights, they will likely recycle faster and they run directly off of AC power (no batteries to charge).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back