$1000/year for 1 photo!!?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by D-50, Nov 27, 2007.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Undercutting is a way of business and personally I feel $1000 for a photo is too much. If this was not for my company I would charge anywhere from $200 to $500 depending on the size of the company and the nature of business. That being said if I were to do a job for a giant company I would of course charge a lot more... I believe you need to gauge your customer and charge accordingly. Furthermore I have actually given my notice to this company so I will not be employed by them for long. I figureded I'd help them on my way out, as for pinching pennies when trying to start a fast food franchise you need to save every penny you can. At roughly $400,000 to open a store it is a very expensive industry and the profit margins are slim considering we use all natural foods.

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Agreed. You're also cutting out the independent person for in-house, which though cheaper, is kinda a blow to the "little guy." For example, my Aunt is a freelance graphic designer and had designed packaging for a product. But instead of using her design (which the company really liked), they ended up going with someone in-house which was nearly identical.

3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you might charge that...but that's not how the photographers normal business structure works in most cases. If it's a small use photograph...then maybe he did overcharge...but you should have haggled instead of doing the photo for free...

4. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lol may we see the picture? Go ahead and copyright all over it I just want an idea of what it looks like haha.

How was the other guy's photo? Was it just a snapshot-like picture or is it okay? 1,000 dollars seems like way too much to me, but just 200 dollars would seem like a lot to me! Haha good luck with your picture goin on the cover or whatever.

5. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lesson to be learned from all this;
    as a photographer either consider the financial situation of your customer and what they can afford and charge accordingly or be prepared to lose out. $1000 a year for the use of a photo for the cover of a business plan was not in our ballpark. Consequently after seeing my photos my bosses want me to photograph all our products and for this I will be charging my regular rate and they are fine with it. So for taking an hour out of my day to take a shot of one of our locations I generated paid work for myself.

6. Mrsforeman1

Mrsforeman1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Now, my question is...
    What are your photos worth to you and the employer?
    I know that you probably don't want to answer that but, I am glad to hear that you gained a client.;)

7. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Glad you got the work. 1k has to be a darn good shot. Most I ever got was 800 and the customer named that price ( I worked my tale off to get that shot) and I gave them full copyright. I now see it in there calender and post cards but they do give me the credit as photog.

8. BPALMER

BPALMER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup:
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. dangerdoormouse

dangerdoormouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just hope you are never unlucky enough to work as a free-lance. You spend hours on a shoot, all for someone who works for the company (with all the perks of working, like a regular salary, sick leave etc) does the same shot as they are a keen armature. Did you shoot from the same angle? Did you unintentionally shoot from the same place? In which case she spent all the time finding the best shot and you got a free ride. I would have haggled had I been your company. It is common business sense to start with a high price and then the client argues it down (often significantly).

10. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

so, D-50....you charge more if they have more money? that is unethical...you have a set price for use and you stick to it, big or small...that will come back to bite you in the butt.

11. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think it's very ethical to charge based on how deep the pockets are either. Imagine if they did that to you at the grocery store.

You would have people coming to you with "Why is this quote so high? XY Corp. referred me to you and said that this package was only $xx.xx."

Then you would say what?
    "Oh, well the thing is..."

12. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

So your telling me if you shoot product shots at $100 per shot and Mcdonalds knocks on your door and says we want you to shoot our new burger you are only going to charge them $100. That is not smart business.
    However, if im dealing with people, lets say photographing a child I have a set price regardless if you live in a mansion or a trailor, although if you live in a trailor and do not have much money I will most likely work something out that fits your budget (everyone desevers to have good photos of their friends and family regardless of their financial well-being). Its really only when Im dealing with a company that I look at what they stand to gain from this shot financially and alter pricing accordingly.

And to answer the question of about the angle of the shot it is not rocket science to figure out what angle a building looks best from. In fact when I got out of my car I immediatly found what I felt was the best angle, turns out the other photographers shot was from a very similar angle.

Finally I feel to help out a business that you work for and one which you really respect the owners of and talk to on a daily basis is fine. I know you need to charge for work and I do charge people who I do not know my regular rate, when it comes to friends Im very flexible. I edited a friends photos from a vacation and made a photobook for them free of charge. The person brought the book into work and her co worker loved it so much she asked if I would edit some of her photos and make a book for her. I am charging her my regualr rate of course but from a favor I did for a friend I gained a job and furthered my name as a photographer.