$1000/year for 1 photo!!?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by D-50, Nov 27, 2007.

1. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER No longer a newbie, moving up!

From what Im hearing it sound like this is a business plan that is going to be used to attract investors.

I would hope something this serious would be taken seriously by the company. If the photographer nailed the shot, pay him what its worth.

If this is the cover and the plan itself is going to generate like hundreds of thousands from investors, I dont think 1,000 a year is a big deal.

depends in circulation, how many you might print, etc...

If it was a large corporation with more than 500 employees
    Id prob charge 5K for the shot.

If they consider giving a guy 100 bucks to do it, then I dont want
    them as a customer anyways

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I had a price sheet, and that was my quoted price - yes, I would stick to it. If the price is too low that's my fault for underestimating how much I should be charging. If you charged according to how fat the wallet was, pretty soon the only people coming to you would be the ones that expect everything for nothing.

They could probably afford a lot more, but it wouldn't be more work for me (shooting cheap burger vs. shooting expensive burger), and I don't think they expect to pay more just because they have more money.

But I'm not a pro, so what do I know. I could be way off from how it really works, this is just what makes since to me.

3. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    .....exactly

by the way this company is comprised of 3 owners 1 manager and 15 food preparers hardly a 500 person corporation also the photo on the front of the business plan is not going to sell an investor on the company the content is there for that. They could have just as easily put the company logo on the front.

4. Dominic

Dominic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You still sound like a weasel.

5. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey dominic go eat a crab cake.................... thread is done

6. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting.

7. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

The idea about charging according to how much money the client has sounds really odd too me. As long as it is commercial work, you charge for the usage you are selling. And you charge according to your price list or whatever pricing system you have.

If his price is $1000 then that's what he's charging. There is normally room for some negotiation on the price, but you are free to not buy it if you don't want it.

A gallon of milk costs the same no matter if you make a $100k or $20k a year. You can of course give away both milk and photos as charity, but charging more just cause your client is loaded seems rather unethical to me.

I have no opinion if $1000 was too much in this case, as we have not seen the photo or really know the exact usage the photographer quoted.

8. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

You still charge for usage.

Chances are that MCD would license the image for more usage than a local restaurant.

Get the point?

9. Mesoam

Mesoam TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    to the people criticizing the charge difference between large and small company's you are really just putting your feet in your mouth...its just how commercial photography or commercial anything works...

10. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i cant believe D-50 sparked up all this over one commission. Essentially he can charge what he wants. If someone is charging a large amount for something, then surely D-50 has every right to offer something better... even more so as it was a favor. If the photographer is good enough to charge 1k per year for a pic of a fast food place, then she should'nt have issues finding business else where.

I think people have been a bit to quick to judge D-50. A one off favor is not going to put everyone out of business.

11. hawkeye

hawkeye TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    agreed

Supply and demand ladies and gentleman... lets not forget the open market principals

12. dangerdoormouse

dangerdoormouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I suspect people have been quick to judge D-50 because he posted this on the thread. If he didn't want to be judged then he needn't have told.