$1800 towards new camera - not sure what one to get?

I really would love to get the 5d mark ii. One of my concerns is doesn't this camera not have a built in flash? Which would require me to carry around an external flash and i'm not sure that's something i'd want to always have to do.
I consider this a plus. If the photo needs any additional lighting then use the proper tool for the job. One that will improve the photo not take away from it.

This is true. I mostly just brought that up because sometimes I bring my camera places without the intent of having a full on photographing session, it's more on the go shooting and i thought it might come in handy. But i've since looked into it and agree with you guys. I'd definitely adjust my ways and get the proper equipment.

My advice is not to buy a camera.

If you're in a part of your life where you have to sell off things to pay bills or whatever, and your recent choice was to sell off the camera... then to me this says the camera is the more expendable and/or too expensive item, and you shouldn't repeat the process.

Though I appreciate the concern and advice I must say it's not like that at all. I probably should have written that differently. I didn't need the money for bills or any necessities. I just had fallen out of photography and wanted something else at the time so I sold it. My bad for writing it the way I did. Thanks for your input though.

I really would love to get the 5d mark ii. One of my concerns is doesn't this camera not have a built in flash? Which would require me to carry around an external flash and i'm not sure that's something i'd want to always have to do. Thanks guys :)

Also don't see much sense in buying mark ii and relying on the built in flash.

Sounds to me like you should buy a T4i/T5i with some really expensive glass.

This is also true. I adressed this in the earlier post.

I looked into those and definitely prefer the cameras I listed much more. Just the features and overall body and feel are more appealing to me. What i've decided is if I get the 7d I might as well spend a lil more and get the 5d mk ii. That'll require me to spend a little more than my original budget, closer to $2000. But i'm willing to do that if I can get what I want and some good deals. So it'll either be $1,200ish for the 60d, lenses, etc. Or $2000ish for the 5d mk ii, lenses, etc. Guess i'll have to ponder on this and do some more research.

Thanks everyone for their help and input. I'm definitely not the smartest or most knowledgable when it comes to this but i'm trying to learn and improve my skills.

The 6D is also not a bad choice, but I suppose it's still too expensive (particularly in Japan) having only been released recently?

I'm happy with my 7D ($800 used). If you don't mind buying a used body, this leaves you with $ to spend for 1 good lens.
I would've gone with a FF camera, but it's beyond my budget. I can imagine 7D's potential with a good lens... which I don't have yet. The Canon 50mm is a good basic portrait lens to own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back