1DX or D4 ?

They are lagging behind Google then

though DXO is Amazon owned I'm fairly sure of that

If I spent 15 grand on glass I wouldn't have to ask what camera to buy

I do agree with this totally.. if you have that much invested in Canon glass.. it would be silly to switch!

If a person can afford both system, why not? :D
For me, it will be silly. However, for some others, it maybe not.

Yep. DxO is owned by Amazon.

As for the post, I personally wouldn't switch if you already have $15k in lenses. BUT, with your mother buying you the camera, she may not mind paying the extra for new lenses too? In that case, D4. ;)

Mark

The ISO range a camera can be adjusted to, and the actual usability of that ISO range are not always concurrent.

Plus there is the Base ISO adjustment range that is controlled by amplifiers on the image sensor chip, and the Extension ISO range that is accomplished by software.

In other words, it boils down to what high ISO settings are actually usable, rather than a maximum ISO setting value that may not be capable of producing usable images.

Markw said:
Yep. DxO is owned by Amazon.

As for the post, I personally wouldn't switch if you already have $15k in lenses. BUT, with your mother buying you the camera, she may not mind paying the extra for new lenses too? In that case, D4. ;)

Mark

Makes me wonder why DPReview and DxOMark aren't combined.

Maybe because DPreview is less biased towards Nikon than DxO. Wait, this can't be true.

OMG, why all this whining and insecurity that DxO is somehow "biased" toward Nikon? It's really simple--Canon is getting its ass handed to it by Nikon, which uses superior SONY-manufactured sensors, made on NIKON-designed steppers that use Nikon optics. Nikon is pretty much the most "pure camera company" of the big five camera makers, and thus they have the most at stake. Nikon fired the majority of its older executives in 2005, and since then has been on an incredible re-orienting of the cameras and lenses they make. DxO doesn't have any "bias" toward Nikon or its products...that's all spin and B.S. coming from the Canon fanboys who have to make excuses, either veiled, humorous,or direct, because Canon cannot seem to crack the top dozen-performing cameras in the DxO Mark rankings....meanwhile, something like seven of the top dozen cameras are Nikons...or medium-format systems costing tens of thousands of dollars.

As Michael Recihmann wrote this month on his website The Luminous Landscape at Canon G1X Field Report

"I know that this is going to get me into trouble (so what else is new?), but it needs to be said. Over the past few years Canon has increasingly become the Toyota of the camera industry. By this I mean – the biggest, but also the most conservative. Like Toyota, Canon makes quality products and it competes successfully in almost every segment that it chooses to. But, like Toyota its products usually fail to excite.

Now, excitement isn't what one should necessarily look for in a camera, since for serious photographers these are tools, not toys. But, let's be realistic and also honest. This is an era in the history of photography which is seeing explosive change, with new technologies and developments arriving at a ferocious rate. Canon though seems to be leaving much of this to their competitors to explore. Mirrorless cameras, high resolution electronic viewfinders, and all the advantages of smaller, lighter cameras with smaller and lighter lenses seems not to interest Canon at this time.

Fine. But offerings like the G1X, which are neither fish nor fowl, only serve to underline that Canon seems to have lost some of its mojo. Nikon's revival over the past five years has been nothing short of remarkable, and Sony is beginning to hit its stride. Sony is a fierce competitor and technology innovator in any market that they choose to enter, and the prosumer camera market is definitely centered in their sights. Fujifilm has developed a new and exciting niche and looks to become a major new force in the enthusiast marketplace. Panasonic and Olympus are continiously innovating in the mirrorless segment, and sales figures show that along with products from Sony and Samsung mirrorless is taking significant market-share, both at the low and mid ends of the market.

Can Canon continue to be content to produce warmed-over versions of last year's DSLRs, ignore the mirrorless segment, and produce compromised crossover products such as the G1X? I sincerely hope not, because they are a great company which has hugely contributed to the photographic industry over the years. It's just that at the moment the still camera division at Canon seems stuck in about 2005. It took a palace revolt that same year at Nikon to give that company back its mojo. Will the same be required at Canon in 2012?"

Most reactions

Back