1st attempt at portraits

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, these are my 1st portraits I have really done. Please critique or comment these as I would like to hear your feedback.
This is my friend from Bangladesh, who has never posed for shots before either. Also it was very windy and had a hard time keeping her hair out of her face, also the light was going from overcast to sunny sometimes between shots so it made for some interesting conditions. Not mention I experienced 3 error99 codes from my 40D, the 1st time I had recieved them and my camera is upto 1400 shots. I think it was due to low OEM battery power and the battery meter was flickering for almost the whole shoot. Anyway here are the shots.

1. Canon 40D 70-200 f/2.8L IS
img1288webza8.jpg

img1290webjg5.jpg

img1312webhp3.jpg

img1360webya1.jpg

img1390webhh6.jpg

6. Canon 40D 24-70 f/2.8L
img1408webtr2.jpg

img1410webqw2.jpg

img1419webfj2.jpg

img1419webbwfd0.jpg

img14362ndeditwebkk2.jpg

Not done any portraits myself yet, but I would say that #6 is the only one I like.......the rest look too forced and awkward......But #6 is very nice, actually #7 is nice too....had to look again

Cute girl. I think you did a pretty good job for your first time. One thing I would suggest is try to avoid having her stand straight on towards the camera. 9/10 times taking the shot from an angle will be much more flattering.
Did you do any post processing besides converting 8 to black and white? There are some simple adjustments you could make that would really take advantage of the light you were working with.

I don't mind the wind blown hair - I think it looks nice for casual beach portraiture. I don't think I've ever been to a beach that wasn't windy.

2,7,8,10 look a little underexposed also.

All in all though, I think you've made a good start. Keep it up and keep practicing!

She is really beautiful. I think you are off to a good start. She did come across ad uncomfortable but I like 4 (exsept the cut off feet), 8 and 10 the best I think. If you post process a little bit you could make them even better

Thanks for the replys guys.

That 2nd shot was so overexposed, I literally saved it from nothing.

I shot these in RAW and converted them in CS3. Adjusted the exposures ect in the RAW window then once converted into JPEG I adjusted the levels slighty. Which post processing techniques could I have used that both of you suggested?

Thanks again. btw, I edited these on my iMac which has a pretty bright screen so what looks underexposed to you might have been fine on my screen?

Ok, here's my go on #2. Says you're photos are ok to edit...

I used added adjustment layers for curves, brightness/contrast, and saturation. I added contrast in curves, then I did a shadow/highlight adjustment and lightned the shadows to keep her from being too dark. That took away a little contrast so I added a little more back. Then I adjusted the saturation to warm her up a bit. I also dodged around her eyes to keep them from being quite so dark. Just a quick 5-min edit so it could be better, but you can get an idea of some different things you can do. Oh, I also did a defog on the image using unsharp mask at 20-60-0.

img1290webjg5.jpg
img1290webjg5rework.jpg

Ajay maybe just me but I really don't like your edit. I feel it's too much on an image that really has little wrong with it.

It does need a little lifting and contrast but saturation and the dodging have not really helped this. Obviously everyone sees images differently.

I really like 3 & 4 although I wish the feet weren't cut off in 4.

Good job for a first attempt :)

Ajay maybe just me but I really don't like your edit. I feel it's too much on an image that really has little wrong with it.

It does need a little lifting and contrast but saturation and the dodging have not really helped this. Obviously everyone sees images differently.

I really like 3 & 4 although I wish the feet weren't cut off in 4.

Good job for a first attempt :)

That's ok. Everyone has a different style for editing - that ones mine. :)
The only reason I did the dodging is because after I added contrast her eyes got a lot darker. And like I said, it was a quick edit so things might have gotten a little overdone in some areas.

I like how the shirt came out in edit but dont love the skin color...its orange on my screen

I felt this one needed a closer crop. It looked very natural and I like her smile. I did just a touch with levels and curves....a bit of contrast as well. 45 seconds worth.

img1410webqw2_edited-1.jpg

I think some work with the eyes, maybe the skin, on this one and you have a winner.

Toned down the saturation a bit...any better? Might still need a slight adjustment in color balance....

img1290webjg5tonedown.jpg

I like the 'candidness' of #3 and would like #4 better if her feet were not cut off... in the others, it's appears she is uncomfortable and/or in an unflattering position. A good rule of thumb my professors always taught me is to cut off around shoulders, waist, or full shot (there are always exceptions, of course) but some of the cut off point in these pictures make her look awkward. Also, you said the light was constantly changing... did you check your light meter before snapping each shot? If not, this may help with at least a first step towards a correct exposure. Other than composition, I would work on exposure first and color correction second then go from there.
Also, what lens are you using?

... just my thoughts.
Great concepts and backgrounds for first shoot, though!

I think these are pretty nice :) She looks more comfortable after the first couple of shots.

I tried to give her a dreamy look. She is a very pretty girl.

After:

img1312webhp3.jpg

Before:
img1312webhp3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back