1st attempts at HDR

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been experimenting over the last few months with HDR rather then using variable ND filters held over the lens. My very 1st efforts produced pictures that were far too vivid, too bright, and just too unrealistic. I've been consistently trying to produce pictures that look realistic, yet have a dynamic range great enough so that the sky isn't blown out, and the shadows aren't black caverns. I've also been experimenting with post production of the single HDR image for fine tuning. Here are a few pictures that I feel come close to that criteria. C&Cs are more then welcome.

DSCN1098_099_100_tonemapped (3370 x 2061)_tonemapped by jaw101, on Flickr

DSCN2023_4_5_fused by jaw101, on Flickr

DSCN1921_1923_2022_fused by jaw101, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72485364@N08/6554107635/
DSCN2023_4_5_fused by jaw101, on Flickr

DSCN1216_7_8_fused (3997 x 2997) by jaw101, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those look good, very natural look to them, as you have found, having proper black levels are very important to a natural looking HDR. Too many HDR are mid toned only which then makes them LOW DR.

If you get comments later, they "don't look like HDRs" then you know you have accomplished your mission

Those look good, very natural look to them, as you have found, having proper black levels are very important to a natural looking HDR. Too many HDR are mid toned only which then makes them LOW DR.

If you get comments later, they "don't look like HDRs" then you know you have accomplished your mission

Thank you. That's what I'd love to see.

Are these the same as your other thread..They seem it more toned down while the others are more vibrant..maybe its just me. I really like the photos though. I think you didi a good job photo realistic HDR.

Are these the same as your other thread..They seem it more toned down while the others are more vibrant..maybe its just me. I really like the photos though. I think you didi a good job photo realistic HDR.

Yes they are, they're in the Landscape and Cityscape forum. My main goal was to be able to get the full dynamic range from the sky to the shadows, and done as realistically as possible using HDR rather then graduated ND filters. I thought that they also seem a little more toned down, yet they're the same exact images downloaded from my flickr account. And thank you for the positive comment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back