1st Hummingbirds w/HSS Flash

WOW. Amazing shots!

And "wow" again at the view from your deck! That view would cost ya $3 mil here in CA :lol: Gorgeous!

These are very good and the crop of the 5DII is quite impressive.

Last year was my first go at trying to get Hummers (get your mind out of the gutter dudes). Did some reading and found these little tricks really helped. The Hummers are fairly consistent in their behavior around the feeder. They hover, go in for a drink, back off for a few seconds and go back for a double dip. When they back off, that's the time to fire. If you prefocus (then turn AF off) and stop down the lens enough (looks like you did) you can catch them without the feeder in the frame. Another tip was (on the day) tape over all ports of the feeder except the one you want to shoot with the best background. It takes them a few minutes to figure out, but they WILL go to that one. They are greedy little buggers. :lol:

As you've already discovered, little by little, you can get closer with your setup. They don't care as long as they can "get the juice".

Looking forward to more.

Is there a shutter speed fast enough to completely make a H. Birds wings still life??
The only way I have gotten close to stopping the wing action was when I lucked out and caught them on the very upswing or downswing motion...but still haven’t stop them completely doing that…
Here's one with no flash at '1/1600th' shutter speed that didn't even come close to stopping the action!

553999800_ATwJM-L.jpg

Not a Hummer, but a bee in flight at 1/8000 shutter speed. :biggrin: sorry, no highjack intended....)
No problem at all, feel free to post any pics/comments you would like....
The only problem I have is that I'm at work and they apparently have your picture hosting site blocked here...
I'll have to wait until I get home in the morning to view your bee in flight shot...:er:...:D

newb question here, but how did your pics not turn out dark with such a fast shutter speed and low ISO? just from being outside?

...amazing pics btw

newb question here, but how did your pics not turn out dark with such a fast shutter speed and low ISO? just from being outside?

...amazing pics btw

As a Nikon shooter, can I take a crack at this?

Shot with my 5DII & 70-200 IS 2.8
ISO 200....1/800....f/5.0 ~ f/8.0...HSS @ -2

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Most reactions

Back