1st Hummingbirds w/HSS Flash

z06-jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few shots I took of some Hummers trying 'High Speed Sync Flash' using my '580EX II' to fill in the shadows.
This time I included the original size and the cropped version to compare.
Shot with my 5DII & 70-200 IS 2.8
ISO 200....1/800....f/5.0 ~ f/8.0...HSS @ -2

558514382_YwoSt-L.jpg

558514540_Z5CG3-L.jpg

558514188_2RAdJ-L.jpg

558514322_JYh7b-L.jpg

558514026_Znr87-L.jpg

558514178_hQ959-L.jpg

556607055_hDfvR-L.jpg

557165505_6kFXT-L.jpg

Holy snark! Nice!

Maaaaaan... I gotta stalk my hummingbirds and try to get some shots. They're so NOT daring here for some reason. My mom (out in Oregon) has hummingbirds that will fly around her head and check her out while she's out reading and such. They even dive-bomb the cats. Ours see you and they're GONE.

Really neat little buggers though.

Anyway, REALLY awesome shots- the total freeze on the wings is DAMNED impressive.

I can only repeat what has been said above... absolutely breathtaking shots here.

I have the same hummingbird issue as manaheim does... if you even breathe, they fly away!

Now these are great! Bravo!

Shot with my 5DII & 70-200 IS 2.8

Awesome shots. Hummingbirds are cool as hell to watch and even more fun to photograph.

Seeing the lens you used, I'm even more excited about my 70-300mm coming in the next day or two. :)

"Shot with my 5DII & 70-200 IS 2.8
ISO 200....1/800....f/5.0 ~ f/8.0...HSS @ -2"

??? You have a 5DII and you shot them with an ISO of 200, and a flash?... The pictures are nice and sharp but, have the "flash look" and are a bit under exposed. You could have come away with much nicer pictures by using a higher ISO and no flash. Your camera is very capable of using higher ISO speeds without too much noise.

Last edited:
Dude, these rock. Nice work with the high speed flash.

Not sure what impresses me more, the shots themselves or the quality of those massive crops. Great shooting!

Holy snark! Nice!
Maaaaaan... I gotta stalk my hummingbirds and try to get some shots. They're so NOT daring here for some reason. My mom (out in Oregon) has hummingbirds that will fly around her head and check her out while she's out reading and such. They even dive-bomb the cats. Ours see you and they're GONE.
Really neat little buggers though.
Anyway, REALLY awesome shots- the total freeze on the wings is DAMNED impressive.
I can only repeat what has been said above... absolutely breathtaking shots here.
I have the same hummingbird issue as manaheim does... if you even breathe, they fly away!
Thanks guys...Here's a shot of my hummingbird 'Blind' on my deck at the back of my house...:D
I started out about 15ft from the feeders and gradually moved closer each day...Now, after just a couple days, I'm able to sit 6ft from them.
They seem to have finally got used to me sitting there and will 'buzz' all around me at times....(still can't make any sudden moves though or it scares them off)
I'm fortunate to be able to get so close....:cheer:
559232749_JHNii-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back