1st photoshoot tomorrow - what settings to use???

wh1ppet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to SLRs. Had my 50D for about 2 weeks. Kit 17-55 lens.

I'm suppose to take pictures of a couple (brother & sister in their 20s) at around noon. I am ofcourse doing this for free.

1. Can I get some tips as to what camera settings to use? I am still slow at changing exposure factors on the fly. In manual, I usually just adjust shutter speed.

2. Perhaps the "auto" mode? Or auto portrait?

3. There should be tons of light, but should I use the in-camera flash when in the shade?

4. All I have is one 4GB card. What file format should I use. These may get printed to as big as an 8x10.

5. Manual or auto focus?

6. Generally accepted standard poses or where to find them?

Thank you in advance.

New to SLRs. Had my 50D for about 2 weeks. Kit 17-55 lens.

I'm suppose to take pictures of a couple (brother & sister in their 20s) at around noon. I am ofcourse doing this for free.

1. Can I get some tips as to what camera settings to use? I am still slow at changing exposure factors on the fly. In manual, I usually just adjust shutter speed.

3. There should be tons of light, but should I use the in-camera flash when in the shade?

4. All I have is one 4GB card. What file format should I use. These may get printed to as big as an 8x10.

5. Manual or auto focus?

Thank you in advance.

try putting it in Av or Tv... tons of light but do not shoot with the flash in the shade but rather in the sun to fill the shadows(read up on fill flash). use fine jpegs. auto focus definetely... just have the couple be themselves

5. Manual or auto focus?

1) depends on the weather really, if it's bright and sunny i would probably shoot around f/5.6 unless your trying for some DoF stuff

2) no, not auto, not now not ever hah

3) on camera flash might give you harsh shadows but it would brighten up their faces if the shade is real bad

4) raw + jpeg is probably your best bet, your new to this so i wouldn't go all raw

5) if it was me (i'm always using a prime) i would go mf but it's really your call

6) search around flickr, although what fun is it to use other peoples poses?

5. Manual or auto focus?

Thank you in advance.

1,2. If you have to ask, use auto. If you're accustomed to changing a setting, use Aperture priority and adjust your aperture. Don't mess with shutter speed.
3. Use whatever gets you a properly exposed shot. It's not pleasant looking but neither is a shot with dark faces and a properly exposed background.
4. Use high quality JPEG if you're not familiar with RAW.
5. AF, why even consider manual?
6. Whatever makes them look natural and comfortable.

If you are new to this at this level, you need to keep things simple enough to help you get the shots without getting too complicated for you. People are likely going to howl at me for saying this, but this is absolutely not the time to start getting cutesy and tinkering with stuff.

I would set the camera on PROGRAM. Not Auto. Most cameras will generally try to give you a fairly wide aperature on program, which will give you a relatively shallow depth of field, which is most likely what you want (background all fuzzy). That lens being a relatively close lens will help this.

Don't horse around with RAW. Shoot JPEG and shoot a lot. :)

Absolutely auto-focus. Again, don't horse around with things so early on.

Be aware that the nicer light is dawn and dusk... anything near high noon can be a bit harsh. Also be aware that if the light is behind your subject, you're likely to get washed out skies... but if it's behind you your subject may get squinty-eyed on you from the glare. Just be aware.

Good luck.

Thanks everybody!
I'll let you know how it goes.

Most reactions

Back