1st REAL Visit to A Photog Store

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I visited one of our local photography stores yesterday to look for a possible used Nikon D2 body and a photog bag. As I entered I suddenly heard conversations that I thought I understood . I was overwhelmed at all the great accessories. A clerk (who sold me point and shoot years ago) asked if I was looking for something. I froze. Uttered aaaaa Nikon D..... He showed me a D1 that was well used. I looked some more then exited. It is much more reassuring to talk and ask here. I think I need more education and self confidence before visiting the Photo Pros again. Accent on Pros~
jorge

Generally if you ask questions they'll help you out at these places... maybe it's the whole in person thing? You're comfortable here.. at some point you'll have to break out of your comfort zone though ;)

I think you are correct in trying to get some advice form the experienced folks on here. Some are very helpful. I just purchased a new camera and lens at my local photography store, rather than going through Adorama or B&H or Amazon. I would have saved a bit by purchasing online, but my reasoning was that I can bring it back to them a lot easier if there is a problem and I should support them if I intend to rely on them for maintenance, advice, and other photographic support. They answered my questions, but I did get the feeling that they were not comfortable steering me towards a specific product. They wanted me to be solely responsible for the choices, which I totally agree with. The scary part is when you are too new to the hobby, you might make the wrong decisions simply because you did not know what to ask.

The other part to remember is that often sales staff might not know as much as you think and might soley want to sell you one camera over another (higher comssion) and will herd you in that direction.

Online you can at least get impartial advice about aspects and get an idea of what might be best to suit your needs and why.

this is not a knock against camera stores - some are very professional and very good and will have staff that will guide you to the right purchase - even to debate with you if a DSLR is seriously what is really best for you.

Well, I'm not sure how much Impartial advice you will get, as much of the advice often seems to be fan boy based. That being said, we don't get commission on what you purchase so you have a point there.

What is a photog bag? For that matter, what the heck is a photog? :D
I got the term from my son who shoots professionally for a major television station in Raleigh, NC. So video is photgo...photography is:er:?

For concert/low light situations, I would recommend the following (in order of decreasing price):

D3x/D3s/D700/D300/D90/D80

I don't think the D2/D2x is a good value because, although, they're the same price as the D300, the D300's high ISO performance is superior.

As for grip, it allows you to have two batteries and also gives you the option of holding the camera normally when shooting portrait orientation.

Most reactions

Back