2020 Fall sports, maybe

Made it through 3 weeks of HS Football here in Central Oklahoma. Been busy shooting it and my sons little league baseball games. Here's a couple from this weekend.

1) He did not catch it but made for a great shot anyway.

Norman-MHS- 0768_.jpg

2) Close play at the plate. He was safe but our boys played hard.

OK Cyclones Game 3 - 0356_.jpg

So far we have made it through week 9, just one more regular season game left. This week, due to an Ice storm in Oklahoma, the game was moved to Saturday afternoon at 2:00 pm. A Saturday afternoon HS game on Halloween, count me in any time you get daylight to shoot the game. And to top it off, the weather was warm (70's) with a final score of 47-44.

1)

PCO-MHS- 0185_.jpg

2)
PCO-MHS- 0207_.jpg

3)
PCO-MHS- 0277_.jpg

4)
PCO-MHS- 1183_.jpg

5)
PCO-MHS- 1341_.jpg

So far we have made it through week 9, just one more regular season game left.

Ron, you're kilin' me. Here in VA we haven't even had week 1. I have a new R6 and it has been great in low light. I really want to try it out under the Friday night lights, but they're dark. I really feel bad for the kids who are denied they're senior season...there is always next season for me and the R6.

So far we have made it through week 9, just one more regular season game left.

Ron, you're kilin' me. Here in VA we haven't even had week 1. I have a new R6 and it has been great in low light. I really want to try it out under the Friday night lights, but they're dark. I really feel bad for the kids who are denied they're senior season...there is always next season for me and the R6.

I understand, I am very thankful that these kids are getting to play their senior year. I'd share my 2020 stories to go with it but maybe at a later time.

So far we have made it through week 9, just one more regular season game left. This week, due to an Ice storm in Oklahoma, the game was moved to Saturday afternoon at 2:00 pm. A Saturday afternoon HS game on Halloween, count me in any time you get daylight to shoot the game. And to top it off, the weather was warm (70's) with a final score of 47-44.

I'm with you, on day games.

I've given up on telling the kids to shoot the DAY games.
If it is not convenient, they don't go.
I have been to only ONE day game where they showed up, and that was because I badgered them hard that week.
Then they complain about how hard it is to shoot the night games. sigh.

I'm with you, on day games.

I've given up on telling the kids to shoot the DAY games.
If it is not convenient, they don't go.
I have been to only ONE day game where they showed up, and that was because I badgered them hard that week.
Then they complain about how hard it is to shoot the night games. sigh.

Love my day games. I typically get some college day games but this year, only OU, OSU and Tulsa are playing and they aren't letting in the number of media they typically do.

High school sports teams are doing conditioning now, with the expectation of starting practice in mid Dec.
They are doing physical conditioning, spread out with no contact.
So there is progress to a mid Dec start of sports practice.

BUT . . . with the infection numbers going up, and the expectation that Thanksgiving may/will spike the numbers, that could cause a delay and push the winter season (season 1) into spring (season 2), and that would be a MESS. ALL the sports normally held in three seasons (fall, winter and spring) compressing and running in ONE season (spring). So, if there is a delay in starting sports, it is possible/likely that the winter season may/will be cancelled, rather than pushed out.

We are just about to start basketball season but things aren't going well at this point so I don't know if we will have a season. Kinda waiting to see.

My county just went from red (2nd bad) to purple (worst), for COVID infections.
I think season 1 (football, water polo, volleyball and cross country) will be pushed from Dec to January.

But, I figure we will have another COVID spike after Christmas, just as we just did after Thanksgiving. That would likely make January a purple month. Which would then push season 1 out to February. But that would overlap enough with season 2 (the rest of the sports), that they may end up cancelling season 1.

If we are at purple level in January, I doubt the school campus will open for classes.
Will the entire year be remote learning?

sigh

The CA state health department just published a youth sports guideline, of what sports are allowed at different infection level in the county.
I am glad that they looked at this based on environment (outdoor/indoor) and contact level for each sport, rather than a blanket rule for all sports.
The highlighted sports are the ones that my high school participates in.​

We are in purple now, with the Christmas spike yet to hit.
I don't see us getting to orange soon, so I think season 1; football, volleyball and water polo are very likely dead.

Start of competition games have been pushed to Jan 25, at the soonest, and subject to pushing out further based on covid infection numbers in Dec.

Sigh. It is a very bad year, for the kids.

upload_2020-12-15_10-58-40.png

Well fall has come and gone, and we are still shut down.
And things are BAD, with available ICU beds below 5%, with some hospitals at ZERO.
So, we have a long way to go.

The only sport activity allowed right now, is conditioning in "pods." Pods are small groups of student athletes. I think the ides is IF one of the students gets covid, you only shut down that ONE pod, not the entire team. Though they are limited by the number of coaches available. They still have to maintain distancing while conditioning. I was out shooting some of them today, and it was nice to get back to shooting.

When sports opens up, the talk is that only the non-contact sports (purple tier in chart above) will be allowed. So the entire sport schedule will be rearranged and dependent on the infection level. Example swimming and diving are spring/3rd season sports, but may be one of the first sports started, because they are "non-contact" sports. And if we never get down to orange tier, football and soccer will not be played, this school year.

Sorry to hear that AC. We are still playing winter sports here. I'm not shooting much but honestly shooting 24 basketball games in 3 days just made me tired.

I have competitive cheer season starting this weekend and have something like 15 teams to shoot.

Well it is what it is, and as much as I don't like having no sports to shoot, I agree with minimizing the chances of spreading the infection.
I'm too old for what you did, 24 games in 3 days. A quad, 4 games in one day, one right after the other, has me worn out.
I'm not sure how many more years of high school sport shooting I have left in me. I had planned on a reduced schedule this year, to shoot only two or three games for each sport.

@ac12, it was tough on me the second day for sure. The last day wasn't too bad as I had gotten used to it. I have done this tournament the last two years and this year, I was pretty much the only person on that end and corner of the court. So I had a stadium seat with a memory foam pillow to sit on the floor, a little tripod stool with a back on it to sit up and then I could stand up all along the baseline.

@ac12, it was tough on me the second day for sure. The last day wasn't too bad as I had gotten used to it. I have done this tournament the last two years and this year, I was pretty much the only person on that end and corner of the court. So I had a stadium seat with a memory foam pillow to sit on the floor, a little tripod stool with a back on it to sit up and then I could stand up all along the baseline.

I like the foam pillow. hmmm
I've been sitting more at basketball and volleyball games.

Most reactions

Back