28mm DX "field of view" vs. 50mm FX ?

shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, when I had my D300, I would often times attend family functions or take smaller, local, road trips with just my 28mm prime, so I could leave my 2.8 zooms at home. The field of view on DX was equivalent to 42mm on FX. Now days, I'd be taking my D800 and 50mm prime.
How big of a view-difference will the 42mm (28mm DX) be compared to my 50mm FX situation?
Minimal? Meaning, very little difference? If I was happy, all in all with the 28mm (42mm view) with my former D300, will the 50mm view on the D800 be close enough to keep moving along?
Too lazy to lug the 2.8 zooms, unless it's an important job, or real vacation. Then I don't mind at all.

It would all depend upon the space you have and the subject dimensions, etc.
Test your issue with your 28-70 at various lengths.

Or .. are you asking if you should get one of those 35/2 AF-D lenses just to fill in the gap. :)

It would all depend upon the space you have and the subject dimensions, etc.
Test your issue with your 28-70 at various lengths.

Or .. are you asking if you should get one of those 35/2 AF-D lenses just to fill in the gap. :)

Dang, you're good!!! I do want the AF 35mm f2.0D, but my wife is sick of me spending money, ha!!
And you're right.. I need to snap away, in my living room, at both 50mm and 42mm and get a feel for the difference.
I'm just lazy and don't like bringing a 2.8 zoom or two, to a family function, etc... gotta chase after my own kids, etc... stand in the back yard with a beer, talking with my brother, etc...

how often do you use your TC-201?
I bought mine .. used it initially and haven't used it since.
Sell the TC and replace it with the 35 ... they are about the same dimensions anyways ... someone might not notice the swap.

Why not just take the 28-70? It is one lens, and would be much more versatile than just having the 50 there.

Why not just take the 28-70? It is one lens, and would be much more versatile than just having the 50 there.
It's too much of a tank for him. lol
I have a 24-85/2.8-4.0 and it is nice and lightweight.
He needs to send me his 28-70 and I'll send him a 35
:)

Sell the TC and replace it with the 35 ... they are about the same dimensions anyways ... someone might not notice the swap.

I only paid $35.00 for my TC-201. Best price I've seen on the 35mm is around $250.00. I don't use the TC much, but it's nice to keep in the bag.

It's too much of a tank for him. lol
I have a 24-85/2.8-4.0 and it is nice and lightweight.
He needs to send me his 28-70 and I'll send him a 35
:)

Ha. I'm a big dude, but just lazy at times, when lugging/chasing after my two boys, and hiking, etc...

I only paid $35.00 for my TC-201. Best price I've seen on the 35mm is around $250.00. I don't use the TC much, but it's nice to keep in the bag.
I stated about the same dimensions .. I never mentioned price lol :) :) :) :)

I usually think of 28mm if indoors and 50mm for everything else. I take it you sold the 28mm prime that you had with the D300. The 35mm is a good compromise, but for now I suggest just taking the 50mm f/1.4 and see if you run into situations where you just cannot back up enough.

At one time I did have both a 40mm pancake and a 50mm, the 40mm was for hiking/travel and don't remember that much of a difference between the field of view of the two lenses that a step or two fixed. With my current DX body and a 35mm I had to stitch together more than a few images of family over the holidays.

I usually think of 28mm if indoors and 50mm for everything else. I take it you sold the 28mm prime that you had with the D300. The 35mm is a good compromise, but for now I suggest just taking the 50mm f/1.4 and see if you run into situations where you just cannot back up enough.

At one time I did have both a 40mm pancake and a 50mm, the 40mm was for hiking/travel and don't remember that much of a difference between the field of view of the two lenses that a step or two fixed. With my current DX body and a 35mm I had to stitch together more than a few images of family over the holidays.

Yes, I sold the 28mm. It was a good lens, but I loved my 50mm so much more. I couldn't justify it since I already 28mm on two of my other lenses.

Yes, I sold the 28mm. It was a good lens, but I loved my 50mm so much more. I couldn't justify it since I already 28mm on two of my other lenses.
Same reason I sold my 24/2.8 AF-D. I had the 24-85 and 18-35 covering it.
But I miss how inconspicuous it was in size.

Same reason I sold my 24/2.8 AF-D. I had the 24-85 and 18-35 covering it.
But I miss how inconspicuous it was in size.

How is the 24-85 treating you?

How is the 24-85 treating you?
It's my main "go to" lens. My Trinity is:
18-35 AF-D .... 24-85/2.8-4.0 & the 80-200/2.8 AF-D

On the online IQ tests ranks the 24-85/2.8 above some 24-70s from what I've seen.
So I'm keeping it even though it is an old design.
I still have the 35-70/2.8 sitting in the bag, just the 24-85 range is nicer.
I have read alot of negative things about it ... but it works just fine right now and when I zoom in it's pretty good too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back