28mm DX "field of view" vs. 50mm FX ?

How is the 24-85 treating you?
It's my main "go to" lens. My Trinity is:
18-35 AF-D .... 24-85/2.8-4.0 & the 80-200/2.8 AF-D

On the online IQ tests ranks the 24-85/2.8 above some 24-70s from what I've seen.
So I'm keeping it even though it is an old design.
I still have the 35-70/2.8 sitting in the bag, just the 24-85 range is nicer.
I have read alot of negative things about it ... but it works just fine right now and when I zoom in it's pretty good too.

Good to hear... I almost bought the 35-70 before landing a deal on the 28-70. Was that wise, even it cost me $300.00 more?

Good to hear... I almost bought the 35-70 before landing a deal on the 28-70. Was that wise, even it cost me $300.00 more?
Yes, the Push-Pull is the main issue. they essentially use felt inside to prevent slide (If I've read correctly). and when that wears it slides easier on it's own. I almost all the time have one hand on the lens, but on a tripod and moving around it can be slightly annoying. If you do any product type photography it's a no-go due to the slide if your camera is at a slight angle.

I'll trade you the 35-70 for your 28-70 any day :) if I don't sell it first.

I guess I should have talked UP the lens instead of DOWN .... lol

The range too .. once you get used to wider ranges the 35-70 just seems so small.
24-70, 24-85, etc. It also gave me a gap to the 80-200 and I wasn't going to get a 70-200 either.

I'd rather have the 28-70 but the 24-85 is a good alternative for me. and I'm done buying lenses for a while. If I get anything else it will be a d750 for sports and astrophotography .. of course the d810A would be a good IR camera to have if it wasn't so expensive.

Ha. I'm a big dude, but just lazy at times, when lugging/chasing after my two boys, and hiking, etc...

1. buy a small backpack to fit one of the boys.
2. place your camera inside.
3. train the child to come when you call, place the backpack on the ground, take the camera out, remove the lens cap, turn on the camera, and hand it to you.
4. take photograph.
5. return the camera to the backpack, and let the child go play again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back