2nd band photoshoot

sh0rtofdaybr3ak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this one came out better than my first, tell me what you think. any suggestions are appreciated!

0065623-R1-039-18f.jpg

0065623-R1-043-20f.jpg

0065623-R1-037-17f.jpg

0065623-R1-031-14f.jpg

0065623-R1-025-11f.jpg

0065623-R1-023-10f.jpg

0065623-R1-021-9f.jpg

0065623-R1-013-5f.jpg

0065623-R1-019-8f.jpg

0065623-R1-033-15f.jpg

they are from a photo cd, so they are kinda grainy.

Of these i feel No.5 is the best. What time of the day were these taken? You have got some shots that are ok but are ruined because one of the guys ends up with his face hidden by shadow or one person looking in a different direction to the others (no. 6). Apart from that a bit of clearasil or photoshop :), a hair cut and some respectable clothes and they're all winners :)

Mostly nice shots, except I do think the lighting is bad in a lot of them. Too much harsh lighting. If you could pick them up and drop them in open shade somewhere, before taking their photos, it would turn out much nicer in my opinion. The biggest problem is that it's inconsistent across the whole group in a lot of the photos. For example in the first shot, one guy has his face completely in shade, another has a bright highlight on his neck, the middle guy is half in shade and partly brightly lit but in a blotchy way, and the two on the right have their faces half illuminated. If they were all facing the same way relative to the sun it might look better. Same with the shots on the crane - in one there's an annoying diagonal line across the small asiatic guy's face, and in both the light is not very well controlled

The individual portraits and the group shot by the power tower right before the single portraits are the best of the bunch, at least as far as light is concerned. The one with "every new day"-guy (frontman? has that frontman-guy look) centered and the group standing in front of the building corner (5th down I guess) is nice.

Except for those things I think the shots are pretty nicely done. I'm not a pro by any means, so take my criticism with a grain of salt, too.

I like where you are going with it.
I would agree the lighting is a bit harsh.
if you are going to shoot color, make sure to shoot slide for the band photos.
FUJI NPH 50 ISO is one of my secrets for outdoor shoots with bands. The magenta (as with most fuji) is beautiful and it can handle the harshness of direct,natural lighting. have a circular polarizer on? It's a GREAT investment for outdoor shooting if you don't. One last thing.. as a general rule, i have bands ditch the logo t-shirts for the shoots A.copywrite issues B.it looks unprofessional (on them, not you).
What sort of music do they play?
XHardcoreX?
If it is something like hardcore (which it looks like it is), You might want to consider shooting during the hour leading to sunset or on an overcast day(or even better, both) as you will get a darker look to the whole thing... i.e. hardcore isn't a sunny day, ya know?
I am not trying to be overly critical, i am just trying to give good advise on one of the few subjects within photography that I know anything specifically about.. if it comes off as anything but, please say something as I am not trying to be negative at all
GOOD LUCK
-Josh

I'm with the others. Without the harsh light and shadows, #1 and #5 would be killer.

I really like the locations, angles and "attitude".

I think all the photos are strong!!! Excellent composition and lighting. You and the band must be psyched!!! The next challenge could be shooting them during the magic hour.

Love 5 & 10! And in spite of what some have said I think the harsh lighting really helps pack a punch considering the location. Only question is...who is the frontman - or is there one?

Keep up the great work!

i like them all
number 5 is my favorite:thumbup:

the only thing i dont like is in 1,2,and 6 there is something in the bottom right (light reflection i dont no what they call it) and in the last one, it is rather hazy on the left side

Most reactions

New Topics

Back