3 versions of same landscape shot, which one do you like best?

Which photograph do you like most out of the three?

• Photo 1

• Photo 2

• Photo 3

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarmad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have been having dilemmas about different photos while I edit them, some edits bring out a certain mood in them. Like I am editing a photo and I realize that in this particular situation dragging down into negative clarity (Lightroom) will make the photo look more dreamy, while at certain times I'd see that crushing the matte black brings a analogue and melancholic vibe to it. Please vote about which photo you like so I can have an idea of what other people like. Also if possible, take some time out and critique the photos so I can become a better photographer :icon_smile:

EDIT: For some reason I am not able to enlarge the hyperlinks I posted here, please bear to click on the links to view the photographs.
Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Last edited:
First of all, hi there stranger! :) Welcome back!

Second: for me, it's a version somewhere between Photo 2 and 3. I'm not a fan of Photo 1 because it's too soft. The second one is a bit too blue, but I like the clarity and contrast in the mountain (though you sort of lost it in the trees.) I like the color and detail in the trees of the third one, and the blue cast is gone, but now the mountains feel a bit dull and in need of a contrast boost.

You have such beautiful scenery to work with :)

Second: for me, it's a version somewhere between Photo 2 and 3. I'm not a fan of Photo 1 because it's too soft. The second one is a bit too blue, but I like the clarity and contrast in the mountain (though you sort of lost it in the trees.) I like the color and detail in the trees of the third one, and the blue cast is gone, but now the mountains feel a bit dull and in need of a contrast boost.

I second what she's stated about the images. Different exposures and settings as #1 too soft/dark. #2 maybe too much clarity of mountain by bringing up shadows. #3 has lost clarity of the mountains though - all foggy like. But this is an instance where using regions of shadow/highlight control would help a lot versus an overall adjustment.

Hi there, I got into college now and it's an engineering degree so it's all work work work now!

I did the first photo trying to give off a 'dreamy' and 'surreal' look, something photographers like Willem's Sense and Karina Kiel would do.

Willem
Karina Kiel

In other two photos I tried to put the emphasis once on the trees, and once on the mountain and wanted to know how people like it.

And the scenery I have to work with is not everywhere, as it may imply, I luckily get the chance to travel somewhere every once in a while as vacation, and I try to make the most of it :)

Last edited:
I second what she's stated about the images. Different exposures and settings as #1 too soft/dark. #2 maybe too much clarity of mountain by bringing up shadows. #3 has lost clarity of the mountains though - all foggy like. But this is an instance where using regions of shadow/highlight control would help a lot versus an overall adjustment.

This was more of a personal experiment, that's why all three images differ so much between them even though it's the same landscape. Thanks for taking the time out to see the images, it means a lot :)

If you are after a certain look/style then best to tell us first.
Otherwise we're just going to comment on general technical issues.

If you are after a certain look/style then best to tell us first.
Otherwise we're just going to comment on general technical issues.

I did want to see how people like the style i did in the first image, but i wanted to get an opinion compared with similar photographs with rather conventional editings. Turns out I am not very good at 'conventional' edits either :D

I agree, I like the second photo the best.

Do you need us to photoshop any explosions into this?

This forum is not like any other photography forum, here people do not forget :D

make an exploding Volcano out of the middle mountain !!

Ah, but seriously... :)

I understand what you wanted from the soft focus version, but the look you achieved didn't really match the look you going for. I wish I could tell you how to get closer to your target, but I don't do a lot of processing so I'm not the one who can tell you which tool or technique to use.

I also understand trying to emphasize one part of the image over the other. I would suggest focusing on the mountain - it's brighter than the tree foreground and it's large, taking up a lot of space in the center of the photo, so regardless of your processing, the eye will fall on the mountain first. So if you have to sacrifice detail in one or the other, sacrifice some in the foreground, but don't make the mountain look muddy. Just don't take too much detail from the trees.

Good luck at school! I'm sure you're doing well :)

Ah, but seriously... :)

I understand what you wanted from the soft focus version, but the look you achieved didn't really match the look you going for. I wish I could tell you how to get closer to your target, but I don't do a lot of processing so I'm not the one who can tell you which tool or technique to use.

I also understand trying to emphasize one part of the image over the other. I would suggest focusing on the mountain - it's brighter than the tree foreground and it's large, taking up a lot of space in the center of the photo, so regardless of your processing, the eye will fall on the mountain first. So if you have to sacrifice detail in one or the other, sacrifice some in the foreground, but don't make the mountain look muddy. Just don't take too much detail from the trees.

Good luck at school! I'm sure you're doing well :)

Yes I kind of failed at what I wanted to do in the first image xD But I have found some PP guides which cover that idea, so I'll take a look at them in the morning.

And yes, the mountain is at a very 'natural' angle in the image, certainly the first thing one would see in the image, none of the three versions of the photos was the 'final' version though, I was waiting to get some response so I could do one final edit keeping all the viewpoints in mind.

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back