3200 or 5100? What should be the first lens?

harisin_47

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning to buy an SLR and shortlisted following based on my budget:

-> Nikon 5100
-> Nikon 3200

Both are in same price range with/without 18-55mm kit lens. So would like to know which one should I go for. While 3200 is a new model launched under entry level SLRs, I assume 5100 is intermediate level SLR.

5200 is bit out of my budget and I was thinking of buying an lens withing the price difference between 3200/5100 and 5200. DO you think its worth to buy 5200, if I would buy a lens for the price difference.

Secondly, I am confused what lens I should go for to start with. I would be initially taking portraits and some street photography. I am wondering if I have to buy just one lens to begin with, what should it be .... should i get AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR or Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. I read on some forum that 50mm f/1.4G would be best 1st lens to start with, but that's bit expensive, so I am thinking of getting 1.8G which is on lower side. I will anyway buy 2nd lens in near future, but as of now want to start with just 1 of them.

Thanks
Haris

I would get the 18-55mm first, get the 50mm 1.8G second.
I got the 50mm 1.8G after I got my D7000 and its a great lens, I use it a lot but still I use the zoom lens I got with my camera more (18-105mm VR)

Hi All,

I am planning to buy an SLR and shortlisted following based on my budget:

-> Nikon 5100
-> Nikon 3200

Both are in same price range with/without 18-55mm kit lens. So would like to know which one should I go for. While 3200 is a new model launched under entry level SLRs, I assume 5100 is intermediate level SLR.

5200 is bit out of my budget and I was thinking of buying an lens withing the price difference between 3200/5100 and 5200. DO you think its worth to buy 5200, if I would buy a lens for the price difference.

Secondly, I am confused what lens I should go for to start with. I would be initially taking portraits and some street photography. I am wondering if I have to buy just one lens to begin with, what should it be .... should i get AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR or Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. I read on some forum that 50mm f/1.4G would be best 1st lens to start with, but that's bit expensive, so I am thinking of getting 1.8G which is on lower side. I will anyway buy 2nd lens in near future, but as of now want to start with just 1 of them.

Thanks
Haris

Hello, I'm new to all of this too and was recently deciding on cameras. I came down to some of the same choices as you have. In the end I went with the d3200 and I'm very happy with it. I've seen many folks recommend the d5100 over the d3200 though so I'd keep looking for opinions if I were you.

As far as the lens choice, that's tough. I do have the 18-55 and I actually like mine. I have a prime, but I went with the 35mm over that 50mm because of how I would be using it.

For you it may come down to how you think you'll be using it most. From the sound of your post I would guess that you'd be happier with the 50mm over the 18-55. The only thing is that the 18-55 could be useful when you get into an area where you don't have as much space or when you want a wider view. I haven't used the 50mm, but many folks say it's as good or better than the 35mm I have. I can say that I've been able to capture better photos overall with my prime than with my 18-55.

Have fun

I'd suggest u try to obtain a constant f2.8 aperture zoom-this brings u into the territory of pro level glass. The tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 would be excellent first lenses.

If those are too expensive a 35mm f1.8g prime would be a great choice as well. 35mm is considered "normal" on a crop sensor Nikon, which means its a great all-round focal length, 50mm is normal on full frame but may be a bet too telephoto for general use on the d3200.

All of the choices I've listed can fill permanent spots in your lens kit and you won't feel the need to upgrade them as u might with the kit lens.

Fyi: The much cheaper 50mm 1.8g actually outperforms the 50mm 1.4g due to it being a new design and the 1.4 being a very old design.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply guys.
i too read many forums on 5100or 3200 .... Where ppl recommended 5100.

Do u really think 5200 really worth the extra bucks, i belivev its not worth to spend extra on newer body, instead get a better lens.

Now there comes another delimma, shud i go for 35mm or 50mm, which one yields better results, for bokeh effect and all. I will b taking few pics in upcoming wedding, would this fixed focal length lens enough?

thanks
haris

Thanks for reply guys.
i too read many forums on 5100or 3200 .... Where ppl recommended 5100.

Do u really think 5200 really worth the extra bucks, i belivev its not worth to spend extra on newer body, instead get a better lens.

Now there comes another delimma, shud i go for 35mm or 50mm, which one yields better results, for bokeh effect and all. I will b taking few pics in upcoming wedding, would this fixed focal length lens enough?

thanks
haris

Just from your posts I'm guessing you would prefer the 50mm over t he 35mm. For my use the 35mm made more sense though. You are looking at crop sensor cameras so using that 50mm as an example it will be like using a 75mm in some ways. As far as I can tell for you from what you are describing this may matter most when in tight quarters or if you need a wider shot. There is more to the differences when discussing the full vs crop, but from what you are asking I think that might be the most relative right now. I've also read where folks say the 35mm is more likely to cause distortion, but so far I've not had an issue with that - although I may just not know, what I don't know :).

For your wedding question I can't help much. I think it will just be important to learn what you have so you'll know what you are, and are not, capable of especially since wedding photos are so important to people. I'll add that I get better low light performance from my prime than my other lenses. For my use I'm happy with the 35mm prime and will probably end up with another in the 85mm. I am able to get the background out of focus in a lot of situations with the 35mm. Some scenarios I've practiced in I have had an easier time when I get up in the 80-100 mm range though. A lot of that just depends on what I'm doing.

I considered waiting for the d5200 over the d3200, but in the end I decided I liked the price point of the d3200 so I went that direction. Personally I don't think you'll go wrong with the d5100, d5200, or d3200. If video matters then that may sway you some. It's the sensor in that d5100 that a lot of folks seem to like. The d5200 has a new and different sensor than either of the other two we're talking about. I looked through photos on different forums and read what people were saying and read a lot of reviews.

You may just want to start reading up some about how each works before you order yours. These things are very scenario driven in my opinion.

Looks as though you have read up on everything pretty well. Of the lenses you have listed, the 50mm f/1.8 will give you the best IQ and shallow DoF. It will also be great for portraits but bad for groups as it is really a short tele. The 35mm f/1.8 is a very versatile lens that will do a good job at just about everything. It does not have as shallow a DoF as the 50mm but you can use it in more situations. If you are wanting to use it for portrait work, you will have to shoot very loose and then crop in PP to the portrait size. The 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 is a jack of all trades and master of none. It is rather slow and won't work well in low light but it will give you a true wide angle all the way to short tele and everything in between. The image quality is not in the same league with the 35 or 50 but it is every bit as good as the expensive f/2.8 normal zooms, just not as fast.

@greybeard that's a nice way of putting it. :)

to the OP, also for me an 18-55mm would be my first choice of a lens simply because of its versatility. Not exactly sharp but usable in many situations. Once you have really determined your shooting preferences, you can then decide on the other lenses whether it be primes, macros, or telephotos, etc. The so-called trinity lenses would be ideal for most casual users and newbies IMO. These would be a walkaround lens normally the kit lens, a telephoto preferably up to the 300mm range, and a prime either a 35mm or a 50mm. Of course feel free if you want better or more exotic glass. But be comfortable with your current gear first and determine your budget too. Happy shooting. :)

PS i have the 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8D (non AF-S) lens. And while the 50mm does deliver sharper pictures, the 18-55mm is my goto lens because of the flexibility of its zooming capablities. And of course you may want to consider other options such as the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, 18-200mm, etc. But opinions may vary and you would also have to consider your budget.

Last edited:
Just placed an order for Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm kit lens.

Thinking of trying my hands on this lens before deciding what Fixed focal lenght lens I shoudl buy next.

Just placed an order for Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm kit lens.

Thinking of trying my hands on this lens before deciding what Fixed focal lenght lens I shoudl buy next.

That's great, keep us up to date.

short answer - get the kit first, then the 35mm 1.8G if you plan to stick with DX for the meantime, if you plan to go FX in the future you can get the 50mm 1.8G.

Kit lens 18-55mm is super useful... I picked up the 35mm f/1.8G for my D5000 and I love it. Perfect for the street and good for portraits too :) good luck!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back