40d EF-s vs EF question.

texas_renegade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking into buying a Canon 40d and I had a question.

1. I realize that the 40d has a crop sensor, and i was wondering if an EF-S Lens would be cropped with the 40d?

2. If so, what are my options for a wide angle lens?? I currently have a rebel XT with a 50mm Prime lens and I hate shooting indoors with it because i have to stand so far away from the subject

Please Help!!

The crop factor comes from the APS-C sensor, and while that (likely) lens is apparently designed to 'take advantage' of the sensor's smaller size... 'a 35mm equivalent range of 27-136mm, and image stabilization... (from the brochure) the size of the sensor is the real issue with crop factors - quality glass the next big concern.

I have shot with the 17-85mm EF-S lens for just under a year now, it's ok - but since you are coming from a 50mm prime your exposures will look soft compared to the 50...

Maybe keep your XT body a pick a nice L series lens? Or a wider angle prime?

I'm just learning myself but this should get your thread going... -Shea

1. I realize that the 40d has a crop sensor, and i was wondering if an EF-S Lens would be cropped with the 40d?

2. If so, what are my options for a wide angle lens?? I currently have a rebel XT with a 50mm Prime lens and I hate shooting indoors with it because i have to stand so far away from the subject

1. Any lens that fit the camera (including a lenses that fit with an adaptor) will behave the same on your XT or the 40D. The smaller sensors, when compares with full frame, will only capture part of the the image, so the images are cropped.

2. Any lenses that have a focal length between 10mm to 18mm are good. Go check out slrgear.com or some other lens reviews sites for more information on wide angle / ultra wide angle lenses. If you look for wide angle fast lens, just look for the one that has lower Aperture number (wider max. aperture) such as F/2.8 or lower.

Canon, Tamron, Tokina and Sigma carry wide or ultra wide fast lenses.

Just to make sure this is crystalline. EF-S lenses are cropped in the same way that EF lenses are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back