450+Good lens / 50D+kit lens

zoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have two options.
The first one is a new 450D with a new Tamron 17-50 F2.8 Non-VC lens
The second one is a new 50D with 18-55 kit lens.

Which one do you prefer ?
That will be the first DSLR of mine. However I have photography knowledge, so I just need to become familiar with the camera and it's usage. I mean I won't use this first DSLR to learn photography through trial-error method.

In this case rather than getting the more advanced 50D with a simple kit lens, getting 450D, which is not as good as 50D, with better lens.

I thought that 60D will be almost here and that leads to a reduction of the price of 50D, so if i get it know, i may dissappoint in few months. I know it looks like i'm answering my own question with these clarifications but i can't assure my self that i can get along with 450D.

Just want to get your own opinions if you were in such circumstance.

What's the price? The Tamron lens is a $500 high quality piece of glass. I plan to keep mine for longer than the life of my 550D/T2i..

Most people here will tell you to go for the 50D I think, but that's a tough call. It all comes down to the prices really.

One other thing to factor in is when you plan to buy more lenses. If you plan to grow the collection fairly quickly, then getting the better body with cheaper lens for now may make more sense. If you plan to stay with whatever you get now for a while, then it may make more sense to opt for the cheaper body and better lens.

There's also the standard answer to these dilemmas -- hold each camera in your hand and pick what feels right :)

BTW, if this is your first DSLR, any reason you are limiting your options to Canon only? The reason I ask is that as a long-time Canon P&S user, I was torn for a long time between the 50D and 500D when I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR. Each had it's pluses and minuses. Then at the very last minute I took a look at the Nikon lineup and realized the Nikon D90 had arguably better image quality than both, the exact feature mix I wanted, and a very reasonable price point. I'm sure you have your reasons but I would encourage not constraining yourself to a single brand unless there is a very good reason.

One other thing to factor in is when you plan to buy more lenses. If you plan to grow the collection fairly quickly, then getting the better body with cheaper lens for now may make more sense. If you plan to stay with whatever you get now for a while, then it may make more sense to opt for the cheaper body and better lens.

There's also the standard answer to these dilemmas -- hold each camera in your hand and pick what feels right :)

BTW, if this is your first DSLR, any reason you are limiting your options to Canon only? The reason I ask is that as a long-time Canon P&S user, I was torn for a long time between the 50D and 500D when I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR. Each had it's pluses and minuses. Then at the very last minute I took a look at the Nikon lineup and realized the Nikon D90 had arguably better image quality than both, the exact feature mix I wanted, and a very reasonable price point. I'm sure you have your reasons but I would encourage not constraining yourself to a single brand unless there is a very good reason.

Don't know why but Canon makes me feel that i will feel more comfortable with it. Don't know why, it's just a feeling. Also another logical reason is that, if I start with Canon and start to collecting lenses, then I have to stick on it, so if I start with Nikon, it might be hard to shift to Canon.

The option with the cheaper camera and better lens, will likely give you better image quality. But that being said, I'd probably go for the bigger, more robust camera and add better lenses as I go.

Personal Opinion Alert!!!

Well, Hold both cameras in your hand before making this decision.

I recently (well, 6 months+ ago) bought a 50D. The main reason I chose it over some of the other Canons... in particular the Rebels, was 98% due to how solid the 50D felt in my hands. The Rebels are nice... But they felt a little "plasticky" to me...

Build quality was important to me.

frontview-001.jpg
Front-001.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know why but Canon makes me feel that i will feel more comfortable with it. Don't know why, it's just a feeling. Also another logical reason is that, if I start with Canon and start to collecting lenses, then I have to stick on it, so if I start with Nikon, it might be hard to shift to Canon.

Fair enough -- you need to be comfortable with what you get. I was simply pointing out that since you don't seem to find either of the Canons a perfect fit for your needs, perhaps you just need to cast a wider net. I did and I'm extremely happy with the outcome!

And yes, if you start with Nikon, it would be harder to switch to Canon. The reverse is true as well. But why would you want to switch? Both brands have extensive camera and lens lineups plus 3rd party support that there really is never a need to switch brands for the vast majority of photographers.

and realized the Nikon D90 had arguably better image quality than both, the exact feature mix I wanted, and a very reasonable price point.
I don't agree with the IQ issue, but the D90 does offer a very good feature set. It's snug between the Rebel line and 50D, and a very good choice if you wanted to go with a Nikon and a cheaper price.

To the OP: I would skip on the 450D and get the 50D. I had a 400D for some time and it was OK, but the 50D is a much better camera. It all depends on what you shoot though. If you don't need to use ISO3200, don't need 6.3 frames per second burst, and don't want the convenience of a top LCD and better button layout + control dial, then the 450D would be fine for taking shots.

Lenses are important, but so is the base on which it's mounted to.

I have a digital Rebel and a 50D. I always shoot with the 50D, but I got some great shots out of the Rebel. IQ will be more closely linked to the lens than the body.

Let's throw in another variable: Lenses last longer and hold their value better.

I would go with the 50d. Given that you WILL get another lens, you will still be sticking it on whatever body you have..

... You will eveutually want to have a magnesium, solid, full size body........ and that 50d will last a decade or two if you want it to......:thumbup:

Another thing to consider is that the Rebels from the 450D and up all use SD cards while all higher cameras (xxD, xD, etc) use Compact Flash cards. Meaning whatever memory cards you get will be useless when you upgrade.

Most reactions

Back