4k monitors

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am at a point where I will be home more and I am looking at setting up a better work station. This will include building a desk and I would like to add dual monitors.

I am trying to balance cost and function for the monitors. I am currently running the new 16" MacBook so I would like to run the monitors via Thunderbolt 3.

After reading the internet until my brain hurts I am leaning toward this unit, LG 27UK850-W : 27'' Class 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor with HDR 10 (27'' Diagonal) | LG USA Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? I have seen the price as low as $400.

Are there any other units that I should consider?

Is that this one ?

LG UltraFine 4K Display

Thats what Apple themselves offer for their Macbooks, so it should be a good one.

I dont follow monitors as closely as I should. :(

I am at a point where I will be home more and I am looking at setting up a better work station. This will include building a desk and I would like to add dual monitors.

I am trying to balance cost and function for the monitors. I am currently running the new 16" MacBook so I would like to run the monitors via Thunderbolt 3.

After reading the internet until my brain hurts I am leaning toward this unit, LG 27UK850-W : 27'' Class 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor with HDR 10 (27'' Diagonal) | LG USA Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? I have seen the price as low as $400.

Are there any other units that I should consider?

Just glanced at your links briefly, but it looks like they have USB-C ports not Thunderbolt. There is a difference, and though they are interchangeable I'm not sure what if any performance you give up. The one listed by Solar Flare above specifically lists Thunderbolt ports, both in and out, so if you decide later on another monitor you can link it in.

Assuming you're planning on a daisy chain with the monitor being the last device. One thing I've run into is they're really proud of Thunderbolt cables at the store.:aiwebs_016:

Last edited:
Is that this one ?

LG UltraFine 4K Display

Thats what Apple themselves offer for their Macbooks, so it should be a good one.

I dont follow monitors as closely as I should. :(

It looks very similar, however they have different inputs on the back. Other then that they are likely the same technology.

Just glanced at your links briefly, but it looks like they have USB-C ports not Thunderbolt. There is a difference, and though they are interchangeable I'm not sure what if any performance you give up. The one listed by Solar Flare above specifically lists Thunderbolt ports, both in and out, so if you decide later on another monitor you can link it in.

Assuming you're planning on a daisy chain with the monitor being the last device. One thing I've run into is they're really proud of Thunderbolt cables at the store.:aiwebs_016:

Nice catch. I have looked at several units. I will research this more.

It looks like I am going to have to go from Thunderbolt 3 out of my hub (only has 1 TB3 out) into a TB3 to display port split adapter. The reason is that I want to mount each monitor on a swing arm and there are not TB3 cables long enough and TB3 hubs are expensive. Looks like with display port I can still get 4k, which is my goal.

I use3 monitors: A 45" Samsung 4k TV with two 27" monitors one on each side.

It looks like I am going to have to go from Thunderbolt 3 out of my hub

Thunderbolt ports are new for me, so I'm not up to speed yet. As I understand it, you can daisy chain (link them in series) up to 6 devices (assuming they have both in and out TB ports), from one single TB port on your computer. A daisy chain can support up to two monitors so long as they're at the end of the chain. That's what's nice about the one Solar Flare linked it has both in and out, which by daisy chaining would substantially reduce your cabling requirements. With TB3 monitors, you can connect up to two 4K displays at 60Hz refresh rate or a single monitor at 5K resolution. For not a lot more, maybe even less then you'll pay for two smaller monitors, you could go with a 34" 5k TB3 monitor https://www.amazon.com/LG-34WK95U-W-34-Class-UltraWide/dp/B07FT8ZBMR. My son has a 49" Dell at work, that he loves, as it gives him the functionality of any size/quantity of monitors he needs. However, I couldn't find any 49" TB3's out there, they seem to be limited to 34" max. Not sure why????

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks like I am going to have to go from Thunderbolt 3 out of my hub

Thunderbolt ports are new for me, so I'm not up to speed yet. As I understand it, you can daisy chain (link them in series) up to 6 devices (assuming they have both in and out TB ports), from one single TB port on your computer. A daisy chain can support up to two monitors so long as they're at the end of the chain. That's what's nice about the one Solar Flare linked it has both in and out, which by daisy chaining would substantially reduce your cabling requirements. With TB3 monitors, you can connect up to two 4K displays at 60Hz refresh rate or a single monitor at 5K resolution. For not a lot more, maybe even less then you'll pay for two smaller monitors, you could go with a 34" 5k TB3 monitor https://www.amazon.com/LG-34WK95U-W-34-Class-UltraWide/dp/B07FT8ZBMR. My son has a 49" Dell at work, that he loves, as it gives him the functionality of any size/quantity of monitors he needs. However, I couldn't find any 49" TB3's out there, they seem to be limited to 34" max. Not sure why????

You sum it up nicely from everything I have seen so far also.

I have read the debates between 1 large vs 2 smaller screens. For my planned use, I think 2 smaller screens would work best for me. Really this will equal 3 screens as I have the laptop screen also.

I agree, daisy chaining would be nice, however with 2 monitors on swivel arms that extend up to 20" I may not have an effective way to wire it. I guess once I get the screens I can see if a 2m cable will be long enough. If so then it is an easy sell. Also I have not built the desk yet so I have a lot of options.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree, daisy chaining would be nice, however with 2 monitors on swivel arms that extend up to 20" I may not have an effective way to wire it.

Are you maybe planning to use one of these for tethering in studio??? Otherwise I'm lost of the need to swing that far. I have zero experience with hubs or splitters on a TB3 but I remember from our office network, the more connections, hubs, switches we had the more problems we had. Yeah from what I've read 2 meters seems to be the limit on 40gb throughput, though 6 1/2' is still a lot of cable.

I agree, daisy chaining would be nice, however with 2 monitors on swivel arms that extend up to 20" I may not have an effective way to wire it.

Are you maybe planning to use one of these for tethering in studio??? Otherwise I'm lost of the need to swing that far. I have zero experience with hubs or splitters on a TB3 but I remember from our office network, the more connections, hubs, switches we had the more problems we had. Yeah from what I've read 2 meters seems to be the limit on 40gb throughput, though 6 1/2' is still a lot of cable.

I don't think it is much of a need to articulate that much, at least not for both. However I will use the same mounts so they can sit in the same position on the desk. I plan on building the desk on wheels so I can move it around the studio, but I think articulating screens would be helpful for tethering.

I liked the look of this one MX27UC | Monitors | ASUS USA but it seems new and there's not many reviews on it. I'm not sure if it would work with thunderbolt though.

From what I can find it gets very poor reviews......

Fair dues mate, like I said I struggled to find much on it but thought it looked good. I'd appreciate a link to the reviews or even the search results you used as it will be something I'll be having a look at soon. Could be a total mare and I've just backed the wrong horse but I've just been browsing recently ;)

I liked the look of this one MX27UC | Monitors | ASUS USA but it seems new and there's not many reviews on it. I'm not sure if it would work with thunderbolt though.

From what I can find it gets very poor reviews......

Fair dues mate, like I said I struggled to find much on it but thought it looked good. I'd appreciate a link to the reviews or even the search results you used as it will be something I'll be having a look at soon. Could be a total mare and I've just backed the wrong horse but I've just been browsing recently ;)

I just looked at it on Amazon. Looks like mostly complaints about a software update and poor customer service.

I just looked at it on Amazon. Looks like mostly complaints about a software update and poor customer service.

Interesting, it gets much better reviews on Amazon UK. Maybe one to avoid then if there's been so many QC issues in the US.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back