Attachments

• $untitled-25.jpg
    $untitled-25.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 123
  • $untitled-39.jpg
    $untitled-39.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I was a little further away than I realized and didnt have my longer lens, but I got some shots of the Capital fireworks:

DSC_9821.JPG

5sec, iso 100, f/11

DSC_9826.JPG

3sec, iso 100, f/11

DSC_9870.JPG

6sec, iso 100, f/16

DSC_9874.JPG

6sec, iso 100, f/16

DSC_9852.JPG

3sec, iso 100, f/14

DSC_9886.JPG

5sec, iso 100, f/16

I was a little further away than I realized and didnt have my longer lens, but I got some shots of the Capital fireworks:

5sec, iso 100, f/11

3sec, iso 100, f/11

6sec, iso 100, f/16

6sec, iso 100, f/16

3sec, iso 100, f/14

5sec, iso 100, f/16

Those are some nice shots, I would have loved to be in DC for the 4th. Or in NYC!. I'm still waiting on Saturday for the postponed fireworks shows in Atlanta.

Just wanted to share one from last night to keep all related info on one post.
I had the camera set on f/11 and controlled shutter with a WU-1a. ISO was set at 250 (probably should have gone with 100 though). Since this was my first time trying fireworks I was happy with the results. This thread helped a ton.

I took my new found knowledge from this thread and tried to shoot some fireworks last night. I'm very much a beginner, so any C&C is welcome. I kind of ghetto-rigged this since I don't have all the right equipment yet. I used my new Canon t3i with the 18-55mm kit lens, supported with a Joby Gorillapod that I had from my P&S camera. Since I don't have a cable release, I used very long exposure times, and controlled the light going to the sensor with a piece of cardboard spray painted matte black to minimize camera shake and only get the bursts I wanted recorded. Here are two of my favorites from the night.

IMG_0417 by Low_Sky, on Flickr
I know there's not a lot to look at here, but I like the colors.

IMG_0428 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

After lugging my camera gear, tripod, two kids under 4, and our food over a mile to the fireworks display I ended up only taking a handful of shots. It was SOOOOO crowded, I couldn't even set up my tripod :( But I just couldn't not take pics of the fireworks so I braced myself and tried a few handheld shots. My first time shooting fireworks, this one was my best ;)

1/20; f5.6; iso 100

Fireworks! by paige_w, on Flickr

Since I don't have a cable release, I used very long exposure times, and controlled the light going to the sensor with a piece of cardboard spray painted matte black to minimize camera shake and only get the bursts I wanted recorded.
What a clever idea, nice job.

After lugging my camera gear, tripod, two kids under 4, and our food over a mile to the fireworks display I ended up only taking a handful of shots. It was SOOOOO crowded, I couldn't even set up my tripod :( But I just couldn't not take pics of the fireworks so I braced myself and tried a few handheld shots. My first time shooting fireworks, this one was my best ;)

1/20; f5.6; iso 100

Fireworks! by paige_w, on Flickr
You might want to try continuous mode sometime when you can't use your tripod. I started shooting when the shell went up and kept the shutter release depressed through the explosion. There will be some blurry ones but, there will be a fair number of them that are reasonably sharp as well. I was able to get up to 1/6 second using that method.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back