4th Fireworks Exposure suggestions.

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never tried to photograph fireworks with a DSLR. I was wondering if someone had some tips for a starting point for exposure settings?
I was thinking of doing a long exposure to capture rocket trails and multiple bursts. In my mind: I would start at ISO100, and probably f/5.6 or f/8. Or maybe bumping up the ISO to 800 or so.
Or, the other setting I was going to try was a shorter shutter speed to freeze the action.
What is your experience?

I have a feeling I'll be tinkering with settings the whole 20 minute show...and end up with crap pictures. ...and miss the show.

Thanks!

Tripod. Remote trigger. lowest iso (50,100) f8-11, drag the shutter ( 1sec to 10secs should work)

Tripod. Remote trigger. lowest iso (50,100) f8-11, drag the shutter ( 1sec to 10secs should work)

I'm not familiar with the technique of "dragging the shutter", what exactly does that mean?

I'm not familiar with the technique of "dragging the shutter", what exactly does that mean?

Use 'bulb mode' so you can control how long the shutter is open.

Firework goes up, click (shutter open), firework explodes, firework trails off, click (close)

Shooting fireworks is all about timing and experimenting.

good watch

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit the remote trigger as soon as I saw the launch. If you're not as close, I guess timing is more critical.
18mm; 6 seconds @ f/16, ISO 200:

Waited a bit longer to hit remote.
4 seconds @ f/11, ISO 200:

watching this thread too! I'd like to try some :)

Attachments

• $Fireworks2012-19.jpg
    $Fireworks2012-19.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
There is a tutorial thread for this somewhere around here.

What I've always done is: Tripod (duh), Bulb mode, f/8, ISO 100. Open the shutter when it launches, close it when the firework is mostly done. Focus and compose while the Sun is still up, if you can. And look for an interesting background (not always possible).

I'm lookin forward to trying my hand at fireworks this year.

I'll probably just use a P&S this year. Don't feel like lugging a bag and tripod around...

This will be a first for me. Good chance to try out something new. :)

Night man.. don't stay gone too long.

Not sure if you have kids, but if you do - you might also have a wagon. A wagon will help a lot - because you WILL get tired of carrying a heavy camera bag all night.

Not sure if you have kids, but if you do - you might also have a wagon. A wagon will help a lot - because you WILL get tired of carrying a heavy camera bag all night.

No kids, no wagon .. but I use a hiking pack somewhat modified for my gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back