50mm 1.2 AIS Nikkor

odagled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.delgadophotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picked up this beauty off eBay for $214. The seller had the Best Offer option so I said why the hell not. I offered $200 and much to my surprise, they accepted! When the lens arrived, sure enough the rear lens cap was tough to open. I just used my undershirt and gave it a twist. Came right off. The glass is perfect with no scratches, aperture blades are clean and focusing is smooth. So far I'm loving it. The lens feels sturdy and of high quality, way better than any other 50mm I've owned (50 1.8D, 50 1.4D and 50 1.8G). Does anybody have any experience with this lens? I'm trying to master the narrow DOF at 1.2 with this monster. Using it on a D750 currently. Just wanted to start convo on this cool lens.

untitled-127.jpg

remember....
just because you CAN shoot at f/1.2, doesn't mean you SHOULD shoot at f/1.2
adjust aperture for the lighting and DOF you want for the shot, not wide open just because it seems "cool".

remember....
adjust aperture for the lighting and DOF you want for the shot, not wide open just because it seems "cool".

I think this is a special purpose lens that I probably wouldn't use for paid work. For personal work I'd probably only use it at 1.2 as it seems thats what this lens is known for.

remember....

I think this is a special purpose lens that I probably wouldn't use for paid work. For personal work I'd probably only use it at 1.2 as it seems thats what this lens is known for.
Doesn't get any better for sharpness at f/2.

remember....
yeah but it's cool and new .. which will wear off over time. :)

The old saw "they don't make them like they used to" definitely applies to Nikkor lenses. We went from metal barrels to plastic barrels and now they don't even put aperture rings on them. I remember once I was on a ladder and dropped my 135mm f3.5 Nikkor onto a concrete floor. It destroyed the lens hood but the lens went right on ticking. It didn't even bend the filter threads. I'm virtually certain none of my AF Nikkors would do as well.

The 50 f1.2 is definitely a specialty low light lens. It is softer than the f1.4 so most guys who had a 1.2 also had a 1.4. Back in the Day Canon even made a f.95 50mm lens. Leica also had an f1. Nowadays we just crank up the ISO 1 stop so these ultras fast lenses aren't needed.

I have this lens, and I haven't tried it on my new D750.

My dad had this lens for who know how long ago. I started playing with it with F501 since 2001. When I got the D700 in 2010, I was still using this lens until I migrated to the AF-D. I have to say, there wasn't really any difference between using it on a traditional SLR vs DSLR. It was as good. Your photo doesn't look right, especially on a digital body. I have to get mine out later today to give it a try, it's been in my dry box for way too long. Also, large aperture works great when you are trying to shoot an object that is up close. Using large aperture for landscape is asking for it.

F4s + AF 1.2D 50mm
036.jpg

062.jpg

Most reactions

Back