50mm F1.0

Leica owners/user are practically a cult already...this would be cult worship within the cult.

Well...I'm convinced. :D

b.t.w. My birthday is in July

What are the full f-stops below f/2? The next full stop is f/1.4. What's next after that, and after that?

What would be really sweet (and Canon should DO it for over $4k) would be if it were also optically stabilized.

Seriously though, I'd rather have a whole bag of more conventional lenses than that one.

Lens stops go by multiples of 1.4 (Square root of two). So from f/5.6, you divide by 1.4 to get f/4, divide by 1.4 to get f/2.8, you divide by 1.4 to get f/2, divide by 1.4 to get f/1.4, divide by 1.4 to get f/1.

So from 2 to 1.4 to 1 is two full stops.

Edit: Oh and after that would be 1/1.4 = 0.71429. Which would probably be rounded to 0.7. Because nobody likes uselessly excessive decimals.

Please forgive my ignorance but why would that particular lens be so much money? I fully realize the utility of f 1.0 but what drives the cost so high? I am seeing some Nikon lenses going for more but they are VR and have some crazy autofocus motors in them etc... This lens doesn't seem like anything that special to me. Just curious.

The fast lens is a true geek's pleasure to discuss. To provide a quick flip side with which I disagree: I read someone's comment on the Leica User Forums that discussed most people misuse of an f/1's available shallow depth of field as a super-expensive LensBaby, whereby everything in the background is so soft that it becomes nothing but color blotches.

There are some aspects though that are more tangible. First of all, there is a question of the build quality that is required which far exceeds most other lenses. If you're going to have a lens that opens its aperture that widely on a consistent basis and do so acurately again and again, you're going to need to build beyond the exacting specfications of a Swiss watch builder. There is also the question of getting the auto-focus right.

There are several highly technical articles about these kinds of lenses, but I warn you: if you easily find yourself fetishizing certain technical details, this will quickly become a very expensive habit.

Finally, keep one thing in mind: especially here on The Photo Forum, there is a lot of talk about various cameras. However, there's a lot of photographers who actually care more about lenses than the box attached to the small end.

Please forgive my ignorance but why would that particular lens be so much money? I fully realize the utility of f 1.0 but what drives the cost so high? I am seeing some Nikon lenses going for more but they are VR and have some crazy autofocus motors in them etc... This lens doesn't seem like anything that special to me. Just curious.
It's just because it's a rare and unique Canon lens. It's not even all that good (the 50mm F1.4 is better).

... and... for that price... you can purchase a Leica M6 and a Noctilux... If you really "must have" that f/1 lens.

Lets not forget the canon 50 f1.2, Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2, Canon 50 f1.4, Nikon's 50mm, hell.. .even the sub $100 buck 50 f1.8. Lots of low light fast lens options out there that a whole lot more viable.

bid ended.. no one met the reserve/buyitnow price... no surprise.

Iron, how's that M8 doing?. you've had it about a week now... Have you ever tried the Tri-Elmar? Itsa great walk around lens for street use. (sorry about the off topic).

I did not buy the Tri-Elmar, it seemed contrary to what I wanted right now - super light and small. I'm shooting with a 28mm Elmarit right now, which is great for street shots. I am loving it, because it is forcing me to compose much more carefully, and to be much more deliberate.

And to get back on topic... I just won a barely-used 50mm f/1 Noctilux on eBay for a LOT less than would have been retail, but I'm traveling for another four weeks and won't get that till I get back home.

CONGRATS on the Noctilux.... I guess the other thread regarding your M8 tempted yah too much... huh?

Its a difficult lens to learn but very enjoyable to shoot. I like to carry the Noctilux and the Tri-Elmar together for a light flexible package. Never really needed anything else.

I heard something about a scene in Apocalpse Now. At the end where Colonel Kurtz is making his confessions by candlelight, the lens is supposedly a Russian custom lens with f/0.7.

Might just be an urban legend though!

A lens with such shallow DOF is difficult to insure proper focus for stills... just imagine how difficult it would be to maintain proper focus on a movie camera.

Yup.. those Canon 50 f.95 lenses are pretty difficult to find in good condition. I've seen two so far. One was in great condition for about 1200 bucks but it still had the original canon mount. The other had been modified to a leica screw mount. Its physical size is pretty impressive... larger than even the noctilux. I've never seen a sample from such a lens though.

Most reactions

Back