TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,

I am going to buy one of these cameras soon. A few things about me:

1. I am not a pro (not even a good amateur).
2. I will use the camera to take pics of my kids (sports, activities, everyday kind of stuff).
3. I love landscape photography and I am currently reading all I can on the subject to get better at it.
4. While I love landscape photography, I won't get to do it as much as take photographs of my kids and other things more local to me; time constraints and all that good stuff.
5. I have been using an XSI for the past 18 months (since i got into photography) and I'd like to upgrade.

Now, having said all that, which camera is more suited to what my use will be? I have read that the 5D captures a better image, is the best for landscape photography, just an overall better quality of image. On the other hand, the 7D has all these new features that the 5D doesn't have, being a new model and all; better focusing; ect....

I have seen images from both and they both look great. Price doesn't matter as the difference in cost is kind of negligible; kind of.

Another thing is that the new 5D will be out in the next 6-12 months (from what I have read) and I'm sure that one will have better features than the 7D plus create a better image. On the other hand the new 5D will probably cost a good deal more than the current mark ii making the price difference more of an issue for me. who knows? Maybe 1,000.00 more?

Should I wait for the new 5D? Should I get the 7D, the current 5D?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Danny

Wait...there is new stuff being announced in seotember. Possibly a 60D or a cheaper full-framer. Other than that, if you shoot mainly sports and moving objects, get the 7D case closed.

Or maybe we, as wise members of the TPF forum, should ask what is so limiting about the XSI that you feel the need to upgrade, especially considering your photography ambitions.

I would go with the 7D it is the far better camera for sports and action which is what you seem to be focused on. Sure new stuff is coming out but I still think the 7D would be the best choice for you, though I agree your xsi should be fine for now. I have been debating this same question and have decided to go 7D myself

I think the Xsi takes great pictures. I love the camera. Don't get me wrong, but it is my opionion that the 7D and 5D take better pictures. I understand there are a lot of other things that dictate how technically good a photo can be, but all things being equal, the Xsi does not stack up against those other cameras. There is a reason one cost 600 and the others 1700 and 2500. Am I missing something?

I like to take landscape photos as well. Does the 7D take good landscape shots (again, assuming same lens and settings, light, composition, etc...)?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny

Depending on your finances, I would wait on the body, and invest in a faster 70-200mm. This will give you good sports results immediately with your camera - as your children are active now and will be so while you wait for a newer model in the future.

Or maybe we, as wise members of the TPF forum, should ask what is so limiting about the XSI that you feel the need to upgrade, especially considering your photography ambitions.
I dont need to play Dr Phil to every thread. He asked for help choosing, not help making him feel better about his XS. He states that he shoots kids activities which is fast and unpredictable. The 7D shoots 8 frames a second will focus better, faster, and more accurately than the XS. It also has higher resolution and image quality. If wanted to do kid portraits and landscapes I would have said to take the 5D. Personally I am in the same boat, except moving up from a t1i. I am waiting for september just as I advised the OP to do.

I didnt say that it CANT take good wide shots....I said NOT AS WIDE. Yes, wide angle comes from the lens. You put the sigma 8mm ( widest non fisheye ) on both and the 5D will be wider. After that you are in distorted fisheye territory. If we dont understand these concepts, then we shouldnt be handing out advice to a guy about to dump 2k on a camera that we possibly recommend.

The 5D will be wider because it's a full frame.

Anyway, I considered the option of keeping the XSi and investing in a faster zoom lens but I would like the upgraded body.

I am really leaning towards the 7D and 70-200 2.8 lens.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Danny

I think the Xsi takes great pictures. I love the camera. Don't get me wrong, but it is my opionion that the 7D and 5D take better pictures.

Better photographers take better pictures, not better cameras. If you want the best, and have the money for it, than that's fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your photos will look drastically better than if you had gotten an Xsi. The chances are that the camera is not the limiting factor in final output.

Last edited:
The 5D will be wider because it's a full frame.

Anyway, I considered the option of keeping the XSi and investing in a faster zoom lens but I would like the upgraded body.

I am really leaning towards the 7D and 70-200 2.8 lens.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Danny

I like that choice. A fast 200mm zoom is possibly my next purchase. Although since purchasing the 7D I have hardly used my 300mm zoom.
You will also have a learning curve when going to the 7D - but it will be a fun learning curve.

I think the Xsi takes great pictures. I love the camera. Don't get me wrong, but it is my opionion that the 7D and 5D take better pictures.

Better photographers take better pictures, not better cameras. If you want the best, and have the money for it, than that's fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your photos will look drstically better than if you had gotten an Xsi.
:thumbup: well said, but one also needs to realize that better features make getting the shot you want easier. There is a reason why the 5D is so popular among pros, and why most pros dont rely on a kodak easyshare point and shoot. This statement always gets way overused and taken way too literally.

Also, I wanted to add to the OP: there also DOF differences with full frame. Look it up, or maybe someone like KHM willshow up since he seems to have diagragms for everything. I dont know enough to explain thoroughly enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back