5D Mark ii - Soft Focusing!?! AHHHHHHH!

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had been saving my pennies for what seemed like forever to get this camera. I finally got it the other day.

Since I got it, I have taken over 1200 photos with many different types of lenses (granted my lenses aren't all that great) and It seemed that the focusing wasn't quite clear. I originally thought this might be my lenses but after a bit of online research, I have found out that the Mark ii does have some focusing issues. I am so, so, so disapointed. Should I take it back and get something else?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this issue?? Do you own a mark ii and don't have this problem?

Help! I think I might cry

Well have you gone to the store for a direct replacement? I mean from what i hear the 5d mkII is an amazing camera, but then again im a Nikon guy i wouldn't know much about your problem.

Insert Nikon vs. Canon joke here...

Don't cry. I can't tell you what your problem is, but it's most likely not the camera. The 5DMII is a great camera. I think the focusing issues you've read about have more to do with having trouble acquiring focus in certain situations, not necessarily mis-focusing. (I could be wrong)

What camera did you have prior to this? Do you still have it? Have you tried it in similar situations? Perhaps take a photo with each camera in the same situation, with the same lens, and post them here.

I :heart: my 5DmkII.

Amazing image quality.

Don't have enough info to help you.
Is it the camera or (sorry) user error?
There aren't that many variables.

Since I got it, I have taken over 1200 photos with many different types of lenses (granted my lenses aren't all that great) and It seemed that the focusing wasn't quite clear.

And therein lies the rub I think. Let's discount user error for the moment, but you have to understand you've moved up to a 21 megapixel camera. You are now at the stage where even minor flaws in your lenses are going to be visible. I've just moved to a 16 megapixel crop sensor camera and by god can I now see the difference between my consumer lenses and what little pro glass I have.

Really for us to help you further, you need to post an example, stating what lens you where using and what settings you had (aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc).

Edit: regarding online talk about focusing issues with the 5D mark ii, believe me you can type "<insert camera model here> focus problems" and end up with tons of hits regardless.

Last edited:
What lenses do you own, have you tested on a focusing chart, have you tried to micro adjust your lenses?

I'm another 5D MKII owner. I have the MKI 70-200 f/2.8L IS, the 17-40 f/4L. the 24-70 f/2.8L, the 15 f/2.8 fish, and the 85 f/1.8. The only lens that was soft was the 24-70 and that's before I used the micro adjustments to fix it. What's micro adjustment? RTFM.

You need top quality lenses to get the best out of a 5Dmk2, it's no good having a great body andf crap lenses

As long as they are Canon lenses they should be decent since EF-S lenses won't fit on a 5D.

As long as they are Canon lenses they should be decent since EF-S lenses won't fit on a 5D.

If you say so :lol:

I'm basing that on:
Half the Canon lenses are L.
The other half should have ultrasonic focusing motors in them.
The lenses the OP has are free of physical damage.

So, is that a stretch?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back