5D Mark II vs D700

I don't mean to feed, but the last wedding i was shooting, my good friend and assistant was shooting with a 5DII with the 50 1.4 and 70-200IS. Almost all of his images were a little bit out of focus. Having 500 or so images from my 2nd shooter that are borderline deliverable because of AF issues was not a good feeling. I had to resize the pictures down to 6 MP until they looked sharp enough where i could hide most of the softness with sharpening. He hates the camera. He usually shoots with 1D's but his personal camera has been a 5DII and he said that he just cannot rely on the AF system.

He does not know how to use it, have a guess what this photographer uses
http://www.jerryghionisphotography.com/

One is a Porsche...the other is a VW microbus. Both are automobiles.
I think a better analogy would be that one is a Porsche 911 and the other is an old VW Beetle with a supercharged LS9 Corvette motor. :thumbup:

One is a Porsche...the other is a VW microbus. Both are automobiles.
I think a better analogy would be that one is a Porsche 911 and the other is an old VW Beetle with a supercharged LS9 Corvette motor. :thumbup:

To me they are totally different tools for different jobs

I don't mean to feed, but the last wedding i was shooting, my good friend and assistant was shooting with a 5DII with the 50 1.4 and 70-200IS. Almost all of his images were a little bit out of focus. Having 500 or so images from my 2nd shooter that are borderline deliverable because of AF issues was not a good feeling. I had to resize the pictures down to 6 MP until they looked sharp enough where i could hide most of the softness with sharpening. He hates the camera. He usually shoots with 1D's but his personal camera has been a 5DII and he said that he just cannot rely on the AF system.

Jerry Ghionis Photography

Like i said, he usually shoots with 1D's. My friend who assisted me normally makes 6 figures shooting for Nike. He just helped me out because it was one of my first weddings and he's a really good friend.

Like i said, he usually shoots with 1D's. My friend who assisted me normally makes 6 figures shooting for Nike. He just helped me out because it was one of my first weddings and he's a really good friend.

You sure its not just a case of a 5DII with a set of lenses that are slightly out of sync with each other if every single shot was slightly out of focus (trusting that those OOF parts were always either back/forward focused each time).

Why didn't he use his 1DS, or switch to manual focus, what lenses was he using ?

Why didn't he use his 1DS, or switch to manual focus, what lenses was he using ?
Again like i said, the 5D is his personal camera, and he was shooting the 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I don't know what his focusing technique was because i was too busy shooting to watch him. We both knew that the 5D is nowhere close to a D700 in the focusing dept. but I didn't know how bad it really was till i got home that night.

I interned at a big studio herein portland for a while and all the photographers echoed pretty much the same thing. If it's stationary, shoot it with the 5DII or H2D-22, if it moves or portraits, better take out the 1D's.

well i'm not going to post 500ish client images just to prove a point, and i understand internet law states "screenshot or it didn't happen", but it's pretty common knowledge that the 5D's focus system isn't very good compared to any current Nikon body higher end than a D90. When you're talking about AF, the only Canon bodies which compete with the D7000, 300, 700, and 3-series bodies are the ones with 45 focus points.

Well post pics to prove your point, if you want.

Any idea when D700 replacement will be out? I am sick of waiting without knowing.

5D mk1
656805554_LYxjE-L.jpg

491249521_Wac5w-L.jpg

Clearly your images would be better if you shot them with a Nikon. :er:

I'm curious if on the dog shot (and the horse, too) your camera was tracking the dog the whole time, or if you had pre-focused on the railing he's jumping over. The horse shot wouldn't be that tricky of an autofocus, but a dog sprinting straight toward the camera is a difficult task for many cameras and/or lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back