5D MKIII or 6D...

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by Steve5D, May 16, 2014.

?

Which Do You Choose?

1. 5D MKIII

79.5%
  2. 6D

20.5%
  1. Steve5D

Steve5D TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm... I like the idea of being able to focus and shoot remotely. Not sure how often I'd actually use it, but it'd probably be a lot more often than I'd use the video feature!

2. DaninMD

DaninMD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    and the best part??? its disabled during video. no temptation :wink:

3. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow.. think about the diversification and the marketing bonus though. You could start with, "Shine Mister?", then go to "Photograph Mister?", and finally "Video Mister?"

Lol.. ok, ya, time for me to stop helping I think. I don't shoot professionally of course but like you I don't have much interest in shooting video. If I did shoot professionally I wouldn't probably want to invest in it either, to do it right is an expensive proposition in both money for the software/hardware you really need and the time it takes to learn video production and editing. There are some pretty good linux packages out there that would probably help defray the cost a bit, but still the time invested not only in learning the skills needed but in actually editing the video, eh - not for me considering how little interest I'd have in the final product.

4. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I picked up a wi-fi adaptor for my D5200 that allows me to shoot remotely as well as preview pictures on my tablet. Works pretty well, I don't use it much but for long exposure tripod shots it's a nice feature to have, mostly I use it to preview stuff while I'm on site so I can see it on a bigger screen and see if there's anything that I really should go back and try to reshoot before I leave. A lot of times it's too hard for me to see things like a missed focus point on the tiny LCD the camera has - not sure if the make a Canon equivalent for the wi-fi adaptor but I'm guessing they probably do.

5. shaylou

shaylou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The 6D is a perfectly good camera with a great price for what you get. In regards to the focus system, in all fairness you can not really miss something that you never had. IMO a big goof that Canon made when making the 6D was not giving it a 100 view finder, that's a big deal for me. As far as remotely controlling the camera I went with the Cam Ranger. Yes it is an added expense but not only can I control my camera from a long distance (as you are doing) and I can use it to show my clients their pictures as I'm taking them. They love that and it gives me a nice way of reviewing my shoots wireless on location. Either way you really can't go wrong with the 6D or the 5DIII.

6. DaninMD

DaninMD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well I guess I should amend my statement on the AF system of the 6D. its not that I miss not having the 5Diii's AF system, its that I don't get hardly any missed focus. the focus system has been very good and accurate. usually if I have something out of focus its due to my error, not the camera's AF system.

FYI the built in wifi and app they have does the same thing you are talking about. how much did the aftermarket system cost? just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nicholaskong

nicholaskong TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to own both and kept the 5diii. The AF system in 5diii is much better. 6d i will always require to recompose and dual card slots.

8. elizpage

elizpage TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    5D Mark III... Well, just.. because.

9. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've never understood a weight or size argument when talking about DSLRs. Particularly when people often put 6lb lenses on them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not all are fine specimens of rugged manliness like you and I.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CAP

CAP FPS GRU Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    5D Mark III All the way.

But Both of those DSLR Bodies are amazing cameras, And no matter witch you go with i am confident you wont be let down. its Canon after all haha .

12. Steve5D

Steve5D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

When I do the upgrade (hopefully within the next month or so), I'll be going with the 5D Mk III.

And a 7D.

And grips.

And a 17-40mm L.

And a 100-400mm L.

My 40D will go to my daughter and my 5D will go to my brother, who wants to start shooting full frame.

It's been a really long time since I've gone shopping, so I figure I'm due...

:D

• Like Like x 3