5D MKIII or 6D...

Which Do You Choose?

• Total voters
first let me say that I voted 5Diii in the poll. I own a 6D and honestly don't feel like I am missing anything. a lot of critique is made about the 6Ds auto focus system. personally I haven't had any issues with it. for my uses it has performed very well and I rarely get a missed focus. I have shot flying birds, etc and it does a very good job. the 6D has a few features that are better than the 5Diii. it has a newer sensor that performs better at low light. it also has built in wifi. I wasn't expecting to really need the wifi but it is really damn handy. its really nice to be able to pull the image onto my phone right there onsite and email it people. I have done this a number of times. the wifi enabled app is also really handy. its great for doing macro work as you can focus the camera from your phone/tablet and take the picture along with changing most of the settings. I have also used it for remote shooting of wildlife. I have set up my camera outside on a tripod close to a bird bath. from inside I was able to see what the camera saw, focus on the birds and get great shots.

none of this is available on the 5Diii.

Hmmmm... I like the idea of being able to focus and shoot remotely. Not sure how often I'd actually use it, but it'd probably be a lot more often than I'd use the video feature!

I picked up a wi-fi adaptor for my D5200 that allows me to shoot remotely as well as preview pictures on my tablet. Works pretty well, I don't use it much but for long exposure tripod shots it's a nice feature to have, mostly I use it to preview stuff while I'm on site so I can see it on a bigger screen and see if there's anything that I really should go back and try to reshoot before I leave. A lot of times it's too hard for me to see things like a missed focus point on the tiny LCD the camera has - not sure if the make a Canon equivalent for the wi-fi adaptor but I'm guessing they probably do.

first let me say that I voted 5Diii in the poll. I own a 6D and honestly don't feel like I am missing anything. a lot of critique is made about the 6Ds auto focus system. personally I haven't had any issues with it. for my uses it has performed very well and I rarely get a missed focus. I have shot flying birds, etc and it does a very good job. the 6D has a few features that are better than the 5Diii. it has a newer sensor that performs better at low light. it also has built in wifi. I wasn't expecting to really need the wifi but it is really damn handy. its really nice to be able to pull the image onto my phone right there onsite and email it people. I have done this a number of times. the wifi enabled app is also really handy. its great for doing macro work as you can focus the camera from your phone/tablet and take the picture along with changing most of the settings. I have also used it for remote shooting of wildlife. I have set up my camera outside on a tripod close to a bird bath. from inside I was able to see what the camera saw, focus on the birds and get great shots.

The 6D is a perfectly good camera with a great price for what you get. In regards to the focus system, in all fairness you can not really miss something that you never had. IMO a big goof that Canon made when making the 6D was not giving it a 100 view finder, that's a big deal for me. As far as remotely controlling the camera I went with the Cam Ranger. Yes it is an added expense but not only can I control my camera from a long distance (as you are doing) and I can use it to show my clients their pictures as I'm taking them. They love that and it gives me a nice way of reviewing my shoots wireless on location. Either way you really can't go wrong with the 6D or the 5DIII.

The 6D is a perfectly good camera with a great price for what you get. In regards to the focus system, in all fairness you can not really miss something that you never had. IMO a big goof that Canon made when making the 6D was not giving it a 100 view finder, that's a big deal for me. As far as remotely controlling the camera I went with the Cam Ranger. Yes it is an added expense but not only can I control my camera from a long distance (as you are doing) and I can use it to show my clients their pictures as I'm taking them. They love that and it gives me a nice way of reviewing my shoots wireless on location. Either way you really can't go wrong with the 6D or the 5DIII.

well I guess I should amend my statement on the AF system of the 6D. its not that I miss not having the 5Diii's AF system, its that I don't get hardly any missed focus. the focus system has been very good and accurate. usually if I have something out of focus its due to my error, not the camera's AF system.

FYI the built in wifi and app they have does the same thing you are talking about. how much did the aftermarket system cost? just curious.

I used to own both and kept the 5diii. The AF system in 5diii is much better. 6d i will always require to recompose and dual card slots.

I've never understood a weight or size argument when talking about DSLRs. Particularly when people often put 6lb lenses on them.

I've never understood a weight or size argument when talking about DSLRs. Particularly when people often put 6lb lenses on them.

Not all are fine specimens of rugged manliness like you and I.

5D Mark III All the way.

But Both of those DSLR Bodies are amazing cameras, And no matter witch you go with i am confident you wont be let down. its Canon after all haha .

When I do the upgrade (hopefully within the next month or so), I'll be going with the 5D Mk III.

And a 7D.

And grips.

And a 17-40mm L.

And a 100-400mm L.

My 40D will go to my daughter and my 5D will go to my brother, who wants to start shooting full frame.

It's been a really long time since I've gone shopping, so I figure I'm due...

:D

When I do the upgrade (hopefully within the next month or so), I'll be going with the 5D Mk III.

And a 7D.

And grips.

And a 17-40mm L.

And a 100-400mm L.

My 40D will go to my daughter and my 5D will go to my brother, who wants to start shooting full frame.

Dude, don't forget the unboxing pics!!!

Hmmmm... I like the idea of being able to focus and shoot remotely. Not sure how often I'd actually use it, but it'd probably be a lot more often than I'd use the video feature!

I picked up a wi-fi adaptor for my D5200 that allows me to shoot remotely as well as preview pictures on my tablet. Works pretty well, I don't use it much but for long exposure tripod shots it's a nice feature to have, mostly I use it to preview stuff while I'm on site so I can see it on a bigger screen and see if there's anything that I really should go back and try to reshoot before I leave. A lot of times it's too hard for me to see things like a missed focus point on the tiny LCD the camera has - not sure if the make a Canon equivalent for the wi-fi adaptor but I'm guessing they probably do.
I have one of them. never figured out how it worked. plugged it in. nothing. got me.
maybe I should have read the directions or something.....
I think It lit up, about it.

And a 7D.

And grips.

And a 17-40mm L.

And a 100-400mm L.

you ever find it disturbing that all these soccer moms, superdads, and hobbyists are running around with better cameras than you and you are a photographer?

....... you ever find it disturbing that all these soccer moms, superdads, and hobbyists are running around with better cameras than you and you are a photographer?

Doubt it. It's the photographer, not the camera.

I now own the 6d and I can say I like my Mark 3 much better.

Most reactions

Back