What's new

5d or 1dmkii

mikehaugen

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 1, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
22
Location
northern illinois
I am thinking of possibly upgrading from my 20d and am considering these 2 cameras since they are in about the same price range. I understand the technical differences between the 2 but was looking for some subjective differences hopefully from someone that has used both. My main reason for upgrading is for the spot-meter, a more larger/ more accurate lcd and am looking for something that is a little better as higher iso's. I know the 1d also has better weather proofing but not sure if the 5d is any better than my 20d. Also the 1d is supposedly better at focusing, but I don't really have a problem with that right now so as long as it is as good as my 20d, I'm happy.

So will either of these give me an advantage in those areas. I know that the 5d wasn't around long before updating and from what I can remember when it came out, the reviews weren't fantastic. Just not sure if it is a good choice, though having a ff would be nice.

Sorry if this has been asked before but all I could find were people talking about the technical differences (mp and frame rates and what not). I am looking for more subjective recommendations.

maybe someone even has another recommendation in this price range. Maybe I should just get a 60d since I can get that new for about the same price, but am trying to get away from the aps-c and I'm not sure I like what they have done with the xxd series. I would be more likely to get a 50d.
 
Shot with the 1d markii and later had some time behind the 5d. I preferred the metering (multispot) autofocus, and build of the 1d enough that I wasnt too tempted by the 5d. 5d has full frame and imo better iso performance.. neither are considered important enough to me.

LCD is the least important feature to me....
 
I'd say if you got the money, go for the full frame! Between the 1d and 5d, the choice really depends on what your gonna shoot. If your into sports, I would go for the 1d since its frame rate is much faster than the 5d's but the 5d has a much higher megapixel range. So I guess you need to lay or your priorities and decide depending on that! Hope that helps!
 
I'd go with the 5D, the sensor in that camera (even for 2011) is amazing at ISO 50 and 100.
 
I think the 5D probably wins in overall image quality and high ISO, but the 1DII would give you the best camera experience.
 
keep in mind full frame sensor requires that you replace your lenses if they are for cropped bodies. not sure if this is an issue for you...
 
I have and use both, they are totally different tools, 1Dmk2 i use mostly for sports and 5D is for studio and band photography but i do use both for band photography
1Dmk2 @ iso1600
765941469_VT3s2-L.jpg
 
Also keep in mind that while the 5D is actually 'full frame' (same size as 35mm film), the 1D is an APS-H sized sensor...so a 1.3 crop factor.
 
The lens thing isn't an issue, especially since neither body will accept ef-s lenses (I think anyway). I only have one lens (a cheap sigma that I don't care much for anyway) that I won't still be able to use. Thanks for the comments everyone, again I thought I remember the original 5d not being liked by a lot of people. My 28-135 just isn't wide enough on my 20d and like I said I don't like my sigma 18-125. I would like to get a wider lens, but think that it would be stupid because if I go to ff or even aps-h, my 28mm will be wide enough and I would probably never use a lens such as a 16-35. I am thinking future and pretty sure I am not going to be using a crop frame forever, so I could skip the wide angle lens and can concentrate on something like a 24-70. I was kind of leaning towards the 5d fitting my needs better, I am glad not to hear anyone saying that it sucks.

Also I have heard people say that the 1d mkii has awkward controls, but looking at it seems similar to my eos3, which I never thought was awkward.
 
Id go with the 5D. I have it, its a great camera and full frame is very nice especially if you like to use wide lenses. Cheers
 
The lens thing isn't an issue, especially since neither body will accept ef-s lenses (I think anyway). I only have one lens (a cheap sigma that I don't care much for anyway) that I won't still be able to use. Thanks for the comments everyone, again I thought I remember the original 5d not being liked by a lot of people. My 28-135 just isn't wide enough on my 20d and like I said I don't like my sigma 18-125. I would like to get a wider lens, but think that it would be stupid because if I go to ff or even aps-h, my 28mm will be wide enough and I would probably never use a lens such as a 16-35. I am thinking future and pretty sure I am not going to be using a crop frame forever, so I could skip the wide angle lens and can concentrate on something like a 24-70. I was kind of leaning towards the 5d fitting my needs better, I am glad not to hear anyone saying that it sucks.

Also I have heard people say that the 1d mkii has awkward controls, but looking at it seems similar to my eos3, which I never thought was awkward.


I don't know who you have been talking to but it sounds like they have never used a 1Dmk2 or a 5D, Both are great camers to use
 
Also I have heard people say that the 1d mkii has awkward controls, but looking at it seems similar to my eos3, which I never thought was awkward.
I just recently purchased a 1D Mark II. Admittedly, the controls took some time to get used to coming from a Rebel XT, but once you get used to them (took about a week for fluency), the controls are phenomenal.

That being said, the ISO capabilities do leave a bit to be desired but it's nothing 100% crippling. Gsgary's shot above is a teeny bit noisy but you really have to strain to see it. My brief experience with the camera has yielded similar results.

I wish I had something to say about the 5d but I've never handled it before. Good luck deciding.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom