5DS-R vs 5D Mk IV: On the Fence

With these priorities, in order, which is the better body? (Landscape, Commercial, Portrait, Sports)

• Canon 5DS-R

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Canon 5D Mk IV

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
The 5Dsr doesn't have great ISO performance nor great dynamic range. But that's not it's sweet spot. It's meant for the person who can take all the time in the world to capture the perfect shot.

This is precisely why I went with the 5DIV. While I sometimes do take my time to set up shots, I felt the 5DIV will fit me better than the 5DS or 5DSR. Appreciate you sifting through my small portfolio to reaffirm my decision.

I have a Canon 50mm f/1.4 non-L lens and I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS on the way. I have a Rokinon 16mm f/2.0, but it's for EF-S mounts only. I'm looking forward to trying the 70-200. It's been on my list for a long long time. Eager to try out this camera!

I have both the original EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and the version "II" (which is just a little bit better... but the original was certainly no slouch.) I like the lens(es) so much, that it's the lens that literally just "lives" on the camera body (when it gets put away in the bag it gets put away with that lens on). Subjects that I could shoot nearer and with a shorter focal length are typically shot with the longer focal length and me standing farther away.

Rokinon does make some lenses for full-frame Canon mount... just not the 16mm f/2. You can get a 12, 14, and 20mm... just no 16.

I have both the original EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and the version "II" (which is just a little bit better... but the original was certainly no slouch.) I like the lens(es) so much, that it's the lens that literally just "lives" on the camera body (when it gets put away in the bag it gets put away with that lens on). Subjects that I could shoot nearer and with a shorter focal length are typically shot with the longer focal length and me standing farther away.

Rokinon does make some lenses for full-frame Canon mount... just not the 16mm f/2. You can get a 12, 14, and 20mm... just no 16.

Right. I was looking for others. But, I've spent enough for now. Haha. The 5D showed up a few hours ago. Gonna enjoy putting it through its paces.

IMG_0878.JPG

The Rokinon's tend to be very popular among astro-imagers because when you're doing night-time sky images there isn't enough light to use auto-focus anyway AND you want a very low focal ratio. That means the astro-photographer doesn't care about auto-focus nor about auto-aperture and the Rokinon offers neither feature (which is fine by the photographer) but they actually DO seem to have respectable optics (which is all the astro-photographer really wants.)

For most other uses - daytime shooting, then auto-focus and auto-aperture are nice features and the Rokinon lenses aren't necessarily ideal for that.

Right. I was looking for others. But, I've spent enough for now. Haha. The 5D showed up a few hours ago. Gonna enjoy putting it through its paces.

View attachment 137371

nice

Most reactions

Back