60d ef-s 10-22 err 01

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Canon 60d is throwing Err 01 when the Ef-s 10-22mm is mounted. "Communications between the camera and the lens is faulty"

If I had to guess, it's water damage related to this wave that hit me a couple weeks ago. http://www.majeedbadizadegan.com/blog/2013/10/6-landscape-photography-safety-tips. Actually, I had a rain sleeve on the camera. As I took it off to check things, got splashed again, and don't think I adequately dried things).

I didn't take the lens off the body after that. First time I've used it since.. AF won't work/won't respond.

Here's the best info I found in my research on this problem

from: Flickr: Discussing Err 01 Message in Canon EF-S 10-22

Hbie is correct. Err 01 is the standard Canon lens error code for the inability to close down the lens' iris or aperture. This can affect anyCanon lens, not just the EF-S 10-22mm.

"Err 01" can mean something as simple as the gold plated contacts on your lens rear end not making a successful electrical connection with your camera body, or something complicated like your lens diaphragm being stuck or defective.

The reason why your lens only functions at f/3.5 is because all Canon EF lenses are designed as full aperture metering lenses and their irises can only be electronically manipulated when mounted on the dSLR body.

If you've had experience with manual aperture lenses (like the old Canon FD-mount lenses), you can actually see the aperture blades closing when you physically rotate their mechanical aperture ring.

Because Canon EF lenses have electronically actuated irises or blades, only an EOS film or dSLR body can control an EF lens' aperture mechanism.

The EF-S 10-22mm is wide open at f/3.5 and the aperture blades will only close when you select a smaller aperture. Since the lens is unresponsive when you attempt to choose a different aperture value other than f/3.5 (wide open), your camera reports the communication problem message.

Your first step is to clean the lens' gold plated contacts with a cotton bud and small bursts of electronic contact point cleaner or methyl alcohol.

Before cleaning, you might also want to take a macro image of the lens' contact points at the highest resolution and examine which ones that look clean to the naked eye, but will show up trace amounts of gunk or oxidation on a large computer monitor.

If all fails, send your EF-S 10-22mm to the nearest Canon repair facility for a thorough diagnosis.

Good luck! :eek:)

Any ideas? I will be sending to the repair facility on Monday.

It makes kind of a crunchy noise. I'm guessing the "ribbon" is gone.

Update 1:

Circuitry is corroded in two places from water damage. Going back to Canon for replacement of mainboard. This lens needs to be re-calibrated if the mainboard is replaced.

Early estimates are 190-250 USD.

All of this could've been avoided by putting my lens in a bag of rice and letting it sit for 48 hours after it got splashed. Weather sealing is not as good on this lens as L series lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back