Camera bags and placement

xxarmando

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I've noticed that the bag that I got for free from Amazon with my D7100 is not fitting my camera with my 18-140 mm Nikon lenses. I find myself having to put my camera with the lenses facing up as it doesn't fit with it's bottom down(no pun intended) Will it cause the camera any damage having it in my bag with the lenses up? (camera sitting on the screen in the bag) How do you experienced and novice shooters place your cameras? and what bags do you use? I use a basic 20$ amazon basics bag (Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Medium DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior): Camera & Photo)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a lowepro photo sport 200 http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/photo-sport-200-aw . It basically only fits in the one way on its side with the bottom to your back. For me I do a lot of nature hikes so having a backpack with my camera in it was key. I love the lowepro. If I had the coin I'd probably have gotten the rover tho. I paid about 150CAD from Henry's for the photo sport 200

It won't hurt the screen unless it is sitting on something hard. For safety, don't put anything else in the same compartment as the camera.

and put a little bubblewrap underneath it for extra cushion

and put a little bubblewrap underneath it for extra cushion

This, or some sort of Styrofoam padding.

Also, check out the for sale section, I picked up a used Think Tank bag (similar looking) for a good price. I can place my D7100 w/28-70mm 2.8 and Lens hood pointed straight down no problem. I can also store my D7100 w/70-200mm 2.8 VR II mounted the same way but not with the lens hood inverted. I also have room to store an additional lens on each side of the main camera pocket.

I have a Canon 200DG bag and a Tenba Pro 2 photo insert.

The 200DG is for when I know I'll be taking photos. I can easily fit two camera bodies, four lenses, gaff tape, flashlight, film, charger, USB cable, blower, four cleaning cloths, a huge packet of silica gel, a 77mm filter, and two 52mm filters all in one bag. This is without having any lenses attached to a camera body, though. If I kept a body and lens attached then it would probably hold one less lens. I didn't buy it because it was made by Canon. I found a website called cambags.com and did a comparison. It was the perfect size for what I do. The fact that it's also very reasonably priced is just a bonus. I've been using it for months now without any problems.

The Tenba Pro 2 has a permanent spot in my messenger bag. I can go about my daily business and always have my camera with me without lugging around a dedicated bag. Until recently it held two camera bodies and two lenses. Now I keep a single body with lens attached for when I need quick access to it. It sits comfortably on its side. The other two compartments contain a second lens and a lens hood/lens caps/cleaning cloths. I bought this after reading a recommendation by a TPF member. It's padded enough that I don't worry about my equipment being damaged. It's small enough that I can still keep a laptop and books alongside.

The bag you linked to looks a bit snug. Is it possible to fit the camera and lens in on its side? That's what I do with my Tenba. The left side of the camera touches the bottom of the bag and the right side (with the grip) faces upwards so it's possible to grab it quickly. If that's not an option then I can't see the harm of setting the camera down on its screen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back